Friday, 28 August 2026

Stubble ? The Pollution's Favorite Whipping Boy

 The Hindustan Times report regarding the distribution of crop residue machines in Punjab is a development I have followed closely, as it echoes proposals I have made for years.

My Persistent Proposal

Back in 2018, I specifically urged the then-Chief Minister, Captain Amarinder Singh, to stop relying on subsidies and instead treat stubble management as a logistical challenge requiring professional infrastructure Blog - "Thank You , Captain Amrinder Singhji" - 2018-10-01.

My argument was simple:

  • The Logistical Window: Farmers have a strictly limited window of about 15 days between harvesting paddy and sowing wheat. Expecting them to purchase expensive machinery for just two weeks of use a year is impractical.
  • The Farm Help SPV: I proposed that the Punjab government create a "Farm Help SPV" (Special Purpose Vehicle) that would own and maintain a massive fleet—initially 30,000 pairs of machines—and rent them out to farmers at a nominal daily rate Email - "AN IRRESISTIBLE PROPOSITION" - 2017-11-01.
  • Economic Viability: I showed that the initial investment of roughly Rs 600 crore would not only be recovered quickly through rental fees but would also leave thousands of crores of "windfall income" in the hands of farmers by converting their stubble into a saleable resource for power plants or industrial use, rather than burning it Email - "AN IRRESISTIBLE PROPOSITION" - 2017-11-01.

My Perspective on Current Policy

While I am pleased to see the government now providing 22,500 machines, I believe the focus on individual or society-level ownership often misses the larger logistical reality I identified years ago. My contention remains that we need a centralized, SPV-led approach. By owning the fleet, the state can guarantee that every farmer has access exactly when they need it, ensuring that the "15-day window" is never missed and that the "burn or sow" dilemma is eliminated for good.

If we treat stubble as "Green Gold" rather than waste, we can turn a perennial pollution crisis into a recurring economic opportunity for the farmers of Punjab Email - "RE: ATTN : SHRI AMITABH KANT" - 2019-03-01.


Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1Thank You , Captain Amrinder Singhji2018-10-01My direct appeal for a Farm Help SPV to manage stubble machinery.
2AN IRRESISTIBLE PROPOSITION2017-11-01My analysis showing the economic windfall of stubble collection vs. burning.
3RE: ATTN : SHRI AMITABH KANT2019-03-01My proposal to treat agricultural waste as an asset ("Green Gold").
4Strengthening Stubble Management2024-10-01My continued call for proactive infrastructure and farmer incentives.

No comments:

Post a Comment