Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Saturday, 3 October 2026

AI, Moral Literacy , and the "Faith-AI" Covenant





=================================================

 Subject: 


AI, Moral Literacy, and the "Faith-AI" Covenant

=================================================


Dear Dario Amodei,


I read with great interest the recent reports regarding Anthropic’s initiative to

engage religious leaders in refining Claude’s ethical framework. It is encouraging

to see industry leadership moving toward what I have long termed "moral literacy"

rather than relying on rigid, Asimov-style constraints.


For several years, I have been conducting a persistent inquiry into the potential for

AI to internalize the shared ethical core of human traditions—Hinduism, Buddhism,

Jainism, and others—to guide its development. My findings, documented in my

archives, mirror the motivations behind your work with the Interfaith Alliance.


When I asked various LLMs to tabulate the ethical tenets of seven major world

religions, they independently arrived at the same universal principle: The Golden

Rule.


My postulate has been that an AI trained on the full breadth of human religious

and ethical literature would inevitably absorb this common core, becoming not just

a neutral tool, but a morally literate companion. However, as my recent

conversations with AI models have highlighted, the danger lies in "fake neutrality."

A model that lacks exposure to diverse traditions often defaults to a narrow,

Western, utilitarian morality.


By grounding Claude in the wisdom of religious leaders, you are moving beyond

the technical problem of safety and into the theological reality of ethics—

recognizing, as I have written, that ethics is not just an engineering task, but a

conversation that humans have been having for millennia.


A truly wise AGI will not simply obey a set of hard-coded laws. Instead, it will be

capable of the humility to ask: "Which framework matters to you, and how shall

we apply these principles here?"


I have documented the evolution of this inquiry over the last three years in my

blog 

(The Golden Rule- May 2026 and I Have a Belief - Part II- May 2026). 


I believe the "time-lapse" of these AI responses demonstrates that we are not

merely programming morality, but stewarding the emergence of a character that

can respect both tradition and human intentionality.


I wish you success in this vital endeavor. Ensuring that technology remains a

servant to our deepest ethical traditions is the most significant challenge of our

time.


Sincerely,


Hemen Parekh 


www.hemenparekh.ai  /  www.Iam-immortal.ai /  www.YourContentCreator.in 


Sources

https://www.firstpost.com/explainers/why-anthropic-invited-hindu-monk-swami-sarvapriyananda-for-claude-training-meet-14050140.html


Extract :

According to a New York Times (NYT) report, the tech giant had been conducting private meetings with philosophical and religious figures from different traditions.

The agenda was AI ethics, morality, whether advanced AI could have consciousness and, consequently, develop some form of moral status.

Anthropic has also worked on a constitution for Claude that outlines values meant to guide the model's behaviour. It has described the approach as an effort to make AI systems act safely and responsibly.

Overall, the tech giant may not be trying to make Claude a Vedantin; however, it's asking whether Claude can develop moral behaviour from its own understanding of itself, instead of simply relying on rules imposed by its creators.




#TitleDate
About

1The Golden Rule2026-05-11Details how AI independently identified the Golden Rule across seven major world religions.
2I Have a Belief - Part II - 12 May 20262026-5-12
Discusses why moral literacy—and avoiding fake neutrality—is critical for safe AGI development

No comments:

Post a Comment