Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Sunday, 4 October 2026

Congratulations, Shri Mandaviyaji

 


Congratulations, Shri Mandaviyaji — 

-  On a Direction that Echoes Four Decades of Partnership


===================================================


Dear Shri Mandaviyaji,


I write to congratulate you on your remarks at the CII-EFI National Conference on

Industrial Relations and Labour & Awards 2026, where you spoke of the need for

meaningful dialogue between employers and workers — and crucially, the

imperative to build "a future-ready labour ecosystem on partnership — not

binaries of pro-labour or pro-industry."


These words carry a resonance for me that goes far beyond policy rhetoric. They

echo precisely what I attempted to practice nearly four decades ago, during my

tenure as General Manager (Industrial Relations) at Larsen & Toubro's Powai

factory between 1979 and 1987.


The Convergence of Vision

In the mid-1980s, at a time when industrial relations in India were marked by

adversarialism — strikes, go-slows, mutual mistrust — we undertook what some

called an "Act of Faith." We bet that sustained productivity and worker

motivation could only be achieved through transparent, honest communication and

genuine partnership between management and workers. Not compliance. Not

compromise. Partnership.


On 20 December 1986, we held a seminar at Lonavla with approximately 165

participants — union shop representatives and senior management together. The

agenda was built not on management presentations, but on honest SWOT

disclosure. Workers saw strategic context — our competitive threats, our cost

pressures, our opportunities — for the first time. Management heard worker voice

in structured debate. Both sides co-designed the process itself.


The results you might call predictable by today's standards, but they were

extraordinary then: an average annual productivity gain of 3% over an 8-

year period, achieved not through coercion or automation, but through a durable

atmosphere of trust.


What was true then remains true now: workers are not cost variables to be

optimised; they are stakeholders whose motivation and dignity drive

sustained performance.


Your Direction Today


Your emphasis on equipping workers with new-age skill sets — AI, automation,

robotics — within a framework of partnership rather than adversarialism is

precisely this principle carried forward into the digital age. You have understood

that:

  • Meaningful dialogue between employers and workers is not philanthropic; it is

  • a prerequisite for economy-wide reskilling at scale.

  • India's Labour Codes should strengthen workers' rights and enable ease of

  •  compliance — not trade one for the other.

  • A future-ready ecosystem requires continuous social dialogue, responsible

  •  technology adoption, and joint ownership of outcomes.


The launch of "Shram Samvad" — an awareness campaign rolling out across 316

 districts — suggests institutional commitment to this partnership philosophy. That

 commitment, scaled nationally, could transform how India's informal and formal

 sectors navigate the technological transition ahead.


A Word of Caution, and a Word of Hope


I say this as someone who spent eight years learning the hard way: partnership

 is not a one-time seminar or a campaign launch. It requires sustained,

senior-sponsored commitment. It requires tolerance for uncomfortable truths

shared in both directions. It requires systems that make worker voice

consequential, not ornamental.


But I have seen it work. And I believe your Government's insistence on

"partnership — not binaries" is a direction that will serve India far better than

 the adversarial models that still dominate many industries.


Wishing you resolve and persistence as this vision takes root.


With deep respect and solidarity in this cause,

Hemen C. Parekh


P.S. — For those interested in how this philosophy translated into practice at L&T between 1979 and 1987, I have documented the approach through over 170 letters written to employees, and a more recent whitepaper on "Participative Management" that may be worth reading. The evidence of sustained 3% productivity gain over 8 years speaks for itself. The principles remain transferable.

https://hcpnotes.blogspot.com/2000/11/the-sun-rises-in-west-english.html


https://latterstolntemployee.blogspot.com/2013/07/indian-method.html

No comments:

Post a Comment