India and America are half-a-world apart but their concerns are the same
In his first Republic-day address , Indian President Pranab Mukherjee said :
“ The young cannot dream on an empty stomach. They need jobs “
In far away America , President Barack Obama spoke :
“ Jobs will follow, wherever they find talent; whether to Kolkatta or to Cleveland “
This how American Bureau of Labor Statistics ( United States Department of Labor ) reports :
As far as India is concerned , here is what National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO) reports :
· India’s unemployment rate fell to 6.6% in 2009-10 from 8.2% in 2004-05. The general perception is that unemployment in India is high, but the actual numbers seem reasonable. That’s because self-employment accounts for about 60% of India’s employed population.
· Given the lack of viable employment opportunities, a large number of Indians opt for self-employment. And a big chunk of this includes low-paying activities like hawking magazines and flowers at traffic signals.
· Casual workers — who get jobs at times and remain unpaid at other times — account for 30%
· Only 10% of the working population are regular employees.
· Given the scarcity of opportunities, higher youth unemployment shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Apparently there is a mismatch between NSSO survey and
· Indian Population Register, according to which India’s population is growing at 15 million / year
· Ministry of Labour , according to which 42 million youth are registered with 966 Employment Exchanges , all over the country
· Ministry of Human Resource , according to which , some 3.5 million students graduate from Indian colleges each year but only 10% find jobs
When will our politicians realize that it is JOBLESSNESS which is the root cause of all militancy / aggression / violence / conflict / protest etc in our society ?
If they did , they would stop crying hoarse about corruption and make “ JOB CREATION “ , their ONE POINT manifesto , for 2014 National Election !
And the political party that does, will get absolute majority in the Parliament !
Are UPA / NDA listening ?