Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Whose Bapu ?



There was a time
When you were our Bapu,
A Mahatma ;


For a life-time long
A tortured Atma ;


To wash away the sins of your children
You died a martyr's death ;


Now those very children
Have opened-up a shop
To sell " Gandhi-ism " ;


They are even maintaining
Two separate books of accounts,
One for income from " Unknown Sources ",
Strictly as required by the law !


Even out of curiosity
Do not venture
Anywhere near ;


No one will recognize you
Without your NSG / Z+ bodyguards  !


And children from city slums
Will chase you , shouting ,
" Ben Kingsley , Ben Kingsley ",


And when they ask you for your autograph ,
Do not sign,
" Mo Ka Gandhi "  !


Just pretend that you are Ben Kingsley,
TV cameras , Reporters , Anchors
Will  follow in your footsteps ;


Just forget that
You were our Bapu  !

-----------------------------------------------------------

Free translation from my Gujarati poem , dated 30, Jan 1984

-----------------------------------------------------------

*    hemen  parekh   (  13   Nov   2013  )




No comments:

Post a Comment