Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 25 August 2011

The Art of Making Babies


In Mint [ April 02,2011 ], Priya Ramani talks about two documentary films, viz;

Ø   Google  Baby

Ø   Made in India

Both dwell on surrogacy and ART [ Assisted Reproductive Technology ]

Here are some observations :

Ø   In USA, it costs nearly Rs.45 lakhs ( 4,500,000 ) to get a baby thru surrogacy ( $ 100,000 )

Ø   In Anand ( Gujarat – India ), a surrogate mother gets paid, Rs.350.000 per pregnancy ( $ 8,000 )

Ø   Indian doctors in the forefront of this trend are

·        Dr. Nayna Patel  ( Anand – Gujarat )
·        Dr. Hrikesh Pai   (  Mumbai  )
·        Dr. Shivani Sachdev Gour  ( Delhi  )

Ø   Surrogate mothers use the money to buy a house, to educate their children etc.

Ø   In India, the laws that govern adoption are much stricter than the rules for surrogacy

Ø   Surrogacy is now a $ 450 million business in India, as per some experts

In number of babies born, India already tops all the countries of the world, with 51 babies born every minute ( - the time it took you to read this ! )

With only 3 babies born per minute in Russia, president Medvedev wants to introduce incentives to boost the population.

This is his opportunity to increase bilateral trade with India !

With regards

hemen  parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment