Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 25 July 2012

THE SORRY STATE OF INDIAN EDUCATION?

25 Jul 2012

THE SORRY STATE OF INDIAN EDUCATION?

Not surprising considering the sorry state of our teachers

Mumbai Mirror [10,July2012] reports about a survey conducted by Parents Teachers Association United Forum(PTAUF) in Mumbai, covering

  • 60  Schools

  • 400  Students

  • 150  Parents

  • !50  Teachers

As far as physical punishment is concerned , what do our teachers believe in ? Here is the shocker :

  • Corporal Punishment  …………  100 % of teachers

  • Hitting students with rulers ……  70 %

  • Slapping  ………………………  55 %

  • Hitting with chalk  ……………… 60  %

  • Pulling years …………………    44  %

  • Hitting on back of palm  ……40  %

  • Making students stand on bench……    62  %

  • Making students to do sit-up  …  81  %

  • Giving extra homework  ………  85  %

In this “reign of terror“, it was not surprising that:

  • Students not informing parents of ill-treatment…88 %

  • Parents not complaining (fear of victimization)…88 %

And talking of innovations in the methods of punishment, recently, couple of teachers (West Bengal/UP) punished students by forcing them to drink their own urine !

Apparently, our teachers have their very own unique ways for cultivating/motivating, young and impressionable minds!


Hemen  Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment