Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Sunday 1 October 2017

There is a Better Way !





Yesterday's Economic Times carries an article , titled : "No Coal with Ciggies  ?  Cos are in a Tizzy ! “




Apparently NDA government wants to ban the " Paan - Beedi " shops all over the country ( numbering 2.5 million ) , to stop selling any other item if they want to sell cigarettes  !



Only exclusive “ tobacco-product shops “ or exclusive “ other items shops “ !


No mixing 



One more crazy idea ?  Of course  !



This is no way to reduce consumption of Cigarettes ( - to save people from tobacco induced cancer )



Here is the RIGHT  WAY :





It is high time our Policy Makers think of  “ long term “  solutions and give up knee-jerk approach that ruin the livelihood of  2.5 million Pan-Beedi shop-owners  !

If we cannot create new jobs , at least can we save those 2.5 million “ self employed “ ?

By all means , if you want to reduce consumption of cigarettes , do introduce a “ Sin Tax “ as applicable in UAE from today , where tobacco and energy drinks will be taxed at 100 per cent and soft drinks at 50 per cent 




02  Oct  2017

No comments:

Post a Comment