Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 19 March 2019

L&T Culture


L&T CULTURE 



I was with L&T from 1957 to 1978. I noticed two different cultures during this period. One before 1974 and one after 1974. Some changes were very obvious and some not so clear.


I had very little to do with the company after I left them except for occasional visits on behalf of the World Bank when the Bank was studying Cement sub sector and Capital Goods sector. But always read about the company as a tiny shareholder. I used to analyze the annual reports with great interest and raised questions. A few times, I was denied answers just because I was an ex L&Tite. 


There was a time when HHL personally interviewed candidates as it happened to me in 1956. 


Some of us, who were present at the function to celebrate the Magsaysay Award to HHL, will remember I recollected some of these stories. NMD used to have Shri Ganesh puja at his house and used to invite employees and some customers as well. HHL had once invited me to his house in Denmark when I was visiting Denmark. 


What is the culture now, I don’t know. I wish I knew but things are different now. I have no grouse as the world cannot remain static. Old things fade away and new things take their place. I suffer from one problem that I know inside story of how the company changed from one culture to another and who were the players of that game. Perhaps, I will take story to the other world with me. 


Some in the group were my colleagues during my career with L&T and they know what I did and what I did not. I have no regrets. L&T made a man out of this rusty individual from Rawalpindi who was sent to IIMA and HBS. I cannot ever forget these kindnesses. 


Best regards to all L&Tites.



SPG  [  s  p  goel  ]


========================================

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM Haridas Shenoy <hrshenoy1941@gmail.com> wrote:


What is L&T Culture?


I am not sure whether it should read as ‘What was L&T Culture”. Because, most of us retired people are not in touch with “What is”.


There is an email from UV Rao to DN. I am in the process of formatting it properly and adding a couple of small details. I will circulate that separately; you can read it if you have not already. It brought out a few points of L&T Culture, one of them was customer orientation.


John B Monteiro, in his Preface to the book L&T Switchgear & Other Stories, has highlighted the word 'gratitude' flowing all over the place in various articles.



1                    HCP now seems to have started by analysing an article which he and I wrote about Ramesh D Grover which appeared in L&T Switchgear & Other Stories. In fact, when I wrote and edited that, I did not analyse the way HCP did.


2          In response I received the following email from Gurudatt Kundapurkar 
ex-Parts Dept., Earthmoving & Mining Equipment, Group I. [service from 1960 to 1997] addressed to DN and cc to me.



To: Dr. Nath,

Your sharing the summarized tabulation of L&T Culture motivated me to share the following experience. 


Non-Hierarchical :  

I had the privilege of briefly jotting down the Parts Department’s initiatives and achievements in a particular year.  You will be amused to know that this was asked for by the then Parts Manager for filling up his annual evaluation form. To my embarrassment he large-heartedly told me that I could do it better than he himself could.


Can there be any greater or more generous non-hierarchical spirit in L&T than this, I wonder! For obvious ethical reason I cannot divulge the name of this manager even though he is not alive now. Trust you understand my predicament and also my belief that my sharing the spirit of this instance   gives us yet another dimension of the L&T’s healthy Non-hierarchical Culture.

 3                   My (HRS) own view

L&T Culture comprised of many elements. I have been highly influenced by the caring culture, making one feel important (genuine appreciation) and (internal) customer orientation (since I have no role in dealing with external customers.


3.1      Caring culture


HCP was a part of this. He was my boss from 1965-1971. In 1967, I wanted to pursue higher studies. The only part time option was Costing – evening classes.

For 1 year, he allowed me the option of working 38.5 hours a week, instead of 47 hours – a privilege available to unionised office staff, of course sacrificing a part of my salary.  

I did not appear for the final examination but what I learnt during that one year helped me a lot and is helping me right now as a part of Tejora Technologies.


He cared for his subordinates.



3.2      Making one feel important


KL Kanthan. In 1971, I had to make a choice between two bosses – whom I should be reporting to. Luckily, I did not have to. KLK told in no uncertain terms to the other one “Shenoy is my man.”


VS Shiroor. In 1991. Fast forward twenty years. Group XI had been formed. Service Departments were to be split. Group XI wanted me to move over there. I was reluctant. But it would have been suicidal to declare so. I kept silent.


One day RK Gogia summoned both of us. He gave a 15 minute sales talk on why I should move over. We both silently listened.


I remember only one sentence from VSSr, as he was called then. “My Department needs me more than yours.” No comments needed.



3.3      Internal Customer Orientation

I did not feel it much but there was a perception that Switchboards and Standard Products were step-brothers. I was identified as a Standard Products man though I never felt or acted so.


I retired on 29th April 2000. In the morning I went round Switchboard Assembly Shop, among other shops and offices, announcing that their pain is over. However, one workman, with whom I had interaction because of frequent breakdown of computer terminal, told me in Hindi “Who is there for us now?”.


As if my Department was to shut down because I was retiring.

Let me rest there for the time being.


HR Shenoy, 7666128505

Co-Founder, Tejora Technologies Limited, tejora.com

No comments:

Post a Comment