Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Thou shall not spend more


Deputy Chairman of India’s Planning Commission, Montek Singh Ahluwalia is in a generous mood.

He has agreed to revise the definition of “ Poor People “, as those, who cannot afford to spend more than

Ø  Rs.15/ day in rural areas ( from earlier Rs.12/day )

Ø  Rs.20/day in urban areas ( from earlier Rs. 17/day )

And he has even spelled out exactly how much they should spend on various items, as follows :

Ø  Food ………………………………….. Rs.7.25/day

Ø  Fuel  ………………………………….. Rs.2.35/day

Ø  Clothing  ……………………………. Rs.1.28/day

Ø  Education …………………………… Rs.0.62/day

Ø  Footwear  ………………………….. Rs.0.20/day

Ø  Entertainment …………………… Rs.0.22/day

Now, if this is not precise enough, he mandates that the rural poor shall manage to consume 2400 calories, by spending Rs.7.25 ( $ 0.16 ) per day on food.

Montek can earn a lot of carbon-credit by claiming that these 387 million people have zero carbon footprint !

Supreme Court judges, Dalveer Bhandari and Deepak Verma are not amused.

They have directed Planning Commission to further revise the per capita norms of consumption.

With regards

Hemen  Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment