Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 24 March 2014

Salvaging Life On Earth

The biggest cause for the degradation of environment is burning of fossil fuels

Burning of coal / gas / oil etc produces green-house gases , leading to global warming / floods / droughts etc

Everyone knows that the real long term solution is switching over to renewable energy sources such as wind / sun / tides etc

Can we tap earth's magnetism to produce abundant / unlimited / clean energy ?

I believe so and would request the scientists to consider my following suggestion :

Every school child knows that ,

>  Electricity is generated when a copper wire is 
     rotated in any magnetic field

>   Earth is surrounded by a very strong magnetic
     field

>   This magnetic field is generated by the rotation
     of molten iron deep inside earth's core

>   This magnetic field also protects us from harmful 
     ultra-violet rays / gamma radiations from space

Now , suppose we find a way to ,

>  Construct a hollow cylinder of woven Copper wires  
     to envelope the earth , 100 miles above the 

     earth's surface ( like those thin rings of Saturn )

>  Then , using small rocket thrusts , rotate this

     cylinder in the direction opposite of earth's

     rotation , to cut through its magnetic field

Will that generate electricity  ?

I think so

With international co-operation such a project would take less time - and possibly money too - than the already successful international projects of the International Space Station or the Large Hadron Collider of CERN

It may be exciting to discover the God Particle and understand what makes up mass but I think , it is far more useful to find a permanent / clean source of energy to prevent the extinction of all life on earth by burning fossil fuels


*  hemen  parekh  (  25  March 2014 / Mumbai )
  

No comments:

Post a Comment