Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 13 September 2018

Pauper in Pune : Prince in Paris ?





Here is some good news for “ Publishers “ (  - like me too ?  )



On my web site [  www.hemenparekh.in  ], I publish my blogs / poems / notes / photos etc



Of course , these are “ free for viewing “ by public , but I have not said that these can be “ linked “ by search engines like Google for free !



But when I searched Google this morning , I found following “ links “ ( Search term  /  No of Links ) :



·         Hemen Parekh…………………………. 17,700  ( on Yahoo  >  5,250  links  )


·         Hemen Parekh wiki………………….    2,660



·         Hemen Parekh poems……………… 30,500


·         Hemen Parekh blogs………………… 10.500



·         “ Hemen Parekh “…………………….    7,880



Now , instead of  publishing “ these in Pune , had I published in Paris , I could be asking Google to pay me for each of these links .



$ 1 /- per link is good enough for me !



And that good news reads :



“ Article 11 is meant to give publishers on the internet , the ability to make an extra buck by imposing a “ link tax.”


Put simply, it’s supposed to shift some of the massive profits away from powerful news aggregators like Facebook and Google by allowing smaller publishers to charge them each time the aggregators link to their sites.


( source : 




This newly approved European Copyright Law might break the internet  )




But question arises :


For “ reproducing “ the above excerpt from the web site of Futurism ( and linking to it ) , would I be liable to pay some amount to Futurism ?  If yes , how much  ?  Under which Indian law or European law  ?



May be , as of now , no one has any clear answer to all the complications that are bound to arise , if – and when – this European initiative gets ratified as “ Law “



But the questions that our own Policy Makers ( Cabinet / Supreme Court / B N Srikrishna Committee etc ) ought to be asking are :



·         If European Union can go to this length , to grant its “ Publishers “ ( remember , these are Organized Sector Companies ), a “ right “ to earn money from the likes of Google , why should not India , come forward ( with appropriate law / mechanism ) to protect the “ fundamental right “ of its “ Ordinary Citizens “ to earn some money by “ selling “ their private / personal data to the Social Media / E Com web sites etc ?

Answer : 

India must enable its citizens to earn money from personal data



·         Once ordinary citizens voluntarily upload their private / personal data on Social Media ( through that sham process of “ registering / I accept the terms “ ) , is it at all possible for the government to “ protect “ them against alleged “ misuse “ ?

Answer :
 
It is just impossible to protect if people don’t have a better alternative ; and that better alternative is …”  A  Matter  of   Motive  




·         As required under EU’s Article 13 , are web sites capable of “ filtering uploaded content “ , when even those very powerful “ cyber forensic labs “ of the Governments are having a tough time deciding ,

#   whether content getting uploaded is “ copyright protected “ or not


#   “ who “ uploaded such content and “ when “



Answer :

   No , because content is governed by “ Parekh’s Principle “ defined as follows :


             Parallel to the ”  Theory of  Thermodynamics “ , I would like to propound the
             following , as far as the  “ Theory of Information “  is concerned :


     
             “ Like Entropy , content keeps growing with each and every human
              interaction , either with other humans or with his environment , and content
              can no longer remain hidden , nor can it be destroyed  “



14  Sept  2018


  

No comments:

Post a Comment