Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 6 April 2024

Election Tax : alternative of Electoral Bonds

 


 

After SBI handed over all data of Electoral Bonds and the Election Commission published it on its portal , lots of things became clear

News reports came out with umpteen types of analysis of WHO gave HOW MUCH to WHOM etc

But no one has , so far published an alternative of the kind I suggested in my following email :

Ø  Transparency in Political Funding ? .. ……………….06  July  2017

 

A couple of days ago , there was news that officers of Finance Ministry have started working on drafting of an ALTERNATE SCHEME for funding of elections , which will bar loss-making and Shell companies from funding political parties

Though a good suggestion, this is only peripheral

In my 7 year old suggestion, there were many advantages ( most notably, absence of Quid-pro-Quo )

But , whereas this is an “ advantage “  for “ transparent governance “ , for precisely the same reason , it becomes a “ disadvantage “ for those Corporate Donors / Corporate Electoral Trusts ( - to best of my knowledge, there were no INDIVIDUAL donors of Electoral Bonds ) . You know why !

This raises following possibility :

Corporates will simply STOP donating to the “ Central Election Fund “ ( controlled by Election Commission ) as proposed in my above-mentioned e-mail  !

Here is a way out :

Ø  Introduce an “ Election Tax “ ( payable by Corporates ) equal to 1 % of the Net Profit ( ala CSR , which stipulates , 3 % of ave net profit of past 3 years )

This suggestion must be viewed in the context of the Govt expecting Rs 9.23 lakh*crore of corporate tax collection for FY 23 – 24 ( = 3.11 % of GDP )

Very likely, my suggestion would result in an Election Tax collection of about Rs 30,000 crore / year

Ø  This will get paid in “ Election Tax Account “ section on Income Tax Department portal

Ø  On 31 Dec of each year, this amount will get transferred into Election Commission’s “ Central Election Fund “ bank account

Ø  This data will be transparently visible to everyone ( without login ) on portals of both, IT department and Election Commission ( not just the aggregate total but company-wise )

Ø  Disbursement from “ Central Election Fund “ to the eligible political parties ( based on a transparent / published formula ), will be as per my proposal in >  Transparency in Political Funding ?

To my above-mentioned earlier proposal , I would suggest adding one more following condition , as far as “ After the Election, re-imbursements of Election Expenses “ to the contesting candidates is concerned :

Ø  There will be NO REIMBURSEMENT to those candidates ( whether win or lose ) , against whom , there is even ONE CRIMINAL CASE ( of Serious Nature ) is pending , as per mobile app KYC

 

Dear Smt Sitharamanji,

 

Three things :

Ø  If you incorporate my proposal in your 100 DAYS ROAD-MAP , you will be fulfilling “ Modi Guarantee

Ø  If implemented , my proposal will enable you to contest 2029 Lok Sabha Elections , without worrying about source of funds required to fight the election – or asking for obligation ( from you know WHO )

Ø  In all future elections ( Central or State ), we will find many more HONEST / COMPETENT candidates coming forward to fight elections as INDEPENDENTS(expect more Engineers / Scientists / Executives )

 

With regards,

Hemen Parekh

www.HemenParekh.ai  /  07 April 2024

Related Reading :

PM Modi speaks on electoral bonds, says 'those dancing over bond details will repent it

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment