Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Access to Justice

In corruption related complaints, Lokpal Bill aims to deliver a verdict within one year of filing a complaint with a local Lok-Ayukt.
A very desirable objective indeed.
I have some doubt whether this lofty goal can be achieved.
Here is why :
Under today’s system, filing a complaint in a court of law is a torturous / time-consuming / expensive process – beyond the reach of common.
Despite this, according to one estimate, there are 30 million cases pending before Indian courts.
At the current rate of disposal, it will take 30 years to clear these !
Now, if Lokpal Bill makes filing of a complaint, a very easy / simple / fast / inexpensive process, will we see 300 million complaints filed in the next 3 years ?
And if so, how many Lok-Ayukts will we need to dispose-off these complaints within one year ?
I request the drafting committee to consider this aspect as well.
With regards
hemen parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment