Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 1 January 2018

28 Hour Working Week ?




In my recent blog , I had mentioned that the ave. annual working hour in Germany was 1363 in 2016



Subtracting 2 weeks of annual vacation , that comes to 27.26 hours per week for 50 weeks



Now comes news which says :


German Union seeks 28 hour working week ( at least , for a 2 year period , after which , the workers must be allowed to return to the current norm of 35 hour week !



Union is also demanding a SIX per cent wage increase – against an offer of TWO per cent by the Employers



Both sides expect to reach a compromise around FOUR per cent , against a Consumer Price Rise of 1.7 per cent in 2017



Union thinks that the employers will grant 4 % because order books are bulging and employers will not risk a general strike !



Unemployment is also at its record lowest because of booming economy ( 3.6 % in Aug 2017 )



Germany has 301 Industrial Robots per 10,000 employees ( the highest in EU ) as against world ave robot density of 69  !





In 2016, India added 2600 robots ( as against 21000 in Germany and 90,000 in China  )



But if wages continue to rise rapidly , I feel the Indian Manufacturers would resort to greater number of robots



Is there a way we can discourage Indian Manufacturers from resorting to rapid AUTOMATION and instead , hire more workers ?



Yes !  There is  !



Indian Policy Makers may want to refer :



=======================================================

SavingJobs : Creating Jobs  [  19  Dec  2017  ]

 

https://myblogepage.blogspot.com/2017/12/saving-jobs-creating-jobs.html

 

=====================================================






02  Jan   2018



No comments:

Post a Comment