Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 27 August 2018

If China can , so can We




And even better



In my yesterday’s blog, ( sent as E Mail to EESL ) , I wrote :



If “ sub-contracting “ is the idea , why go through this entire “ Challenge Exercise “ ?


Why not just contact the 38 existing e – car manufacturers , encouraging them to set up manufacturing facilities in India ? [ TATA and M&M are already producing ]


If assured of guaranteed order from EESL [ say 25,000 cars each per year , to two selected manufacturers ] , they will be happy to make cars as per winning design







Then today, I came across the following news reports :




Nissan's first electric sedan designed for China began production Monday at the start of a wave of dozens of planned lower-cost electrics being created by global automakers for their biggest market.



Manufacturers including General Motors and Volkswagen are poised this year to launch a flood of electric sedans, minivans and SUVs designed for Chinese tastes and budgets.



 Nissan, Tesla, GM and others sell imports or electrified versions of models made by Chinese partners, but the market is dominated by low-cost local rivals including BYD Auto







China's government sees electric cars as a promising industry and a way to clean up its smog-choked cities.


Government subsidies have built China into the biggest market for electrics, but Beijing is shifting the burden to automakers with sales quotas and tougher fuel efficiency standards







Strength of demand in China means global car makers are turning to the country as an ideal place to develop new electric vehicles, with the government’s support for the technology adding impetus


“Western companies want to be in such a big market and the only way to get access is to partner up with a local company.”






And as to “ how we can do better than China “ , this is what I suggested in my yesterday’s email to EESL :




If at all , there has to be a “ Challenge “ , it should read :


“ E Car with a range of 100 km / charge and costing no more than Rs 7 lakh


It should have Solar Panel mounted roof top to continuously charge a small Li-ion Battery which can be also charged overnight at home , using a standard 220 V domestic outlet  



No need for any roadside “ Battery Charging Infrastructure “ , no “ Range Anxiety “ for the buyers , no need for any Subsidy ( under FAME II  being launched in Sept and expected to cost Rs 5,500 crores ) ! 





Dear Shri Saurabh Kumarji [  MD – EESL  ]  :



I urge you to consider my above-mentioned suggestion



And while negotiating with those Global E Car Manufacturers , you may want to make it clear that EESL will notBUY “ e-cars but only take these on “ WET LEASE



28  Aug  2018






No comments:

Post a Comment