Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 28 July 2011

Nuclear Power


Proposed nuclear power plant at Jaitapur [ India ], will have liquid sodium cooled reactors.

Every high school student knows that sodium catches fire instantly when coming in contact with air. So, any leakage of coolant during an accident, will be disastrous. This issue must be addressed and public must be educated.

But then, how many people have died so far due to a nuclear plant accident ?

A few hundreds in Chernobyl [ Russia ], 25 years back.

On the other hand, how many people have died / are dying, due to carbon dioxide emission of coal based power plants ?

Possibly millions !

Except that dying by pollution is a slow process – almost invisible.

Then in India alone, some 6800 people are dying everyday due to malnutrition ( 2.5 million every year ) – even as millions of tons of food grains are rotting in the open !

It is about time we reworked our priorities.

With regards

Hemen  Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment