Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Who works How long ?


Times of India [ 14 April,2011 ] reports following findings of a survey carried out by Organization of Economic Co-operation and Development ( OECD ) :

Total average daily work-times [ paid + unpaid work ] of people in different countries are :

>    Mexico    ….    594   Minutes

>    Japan     ….     540     

>    China     …..    504     

>    New Zealand   498     

>    USA     …….     496     

>    India    …….     486     

>    Korea    ……     484     

>    Australia       481     

>    Italy      …….    474     

>    UK       ……..    473     

>    Finland         451    

>    France   ……     448     

>    Germany       445     

>    Belgium   ….     427     

Now, OECD defines “ Unpaid Work “ as Cooking, Cleaning, Shopping etc.

I have no idea how OECD defines the following works carried out by the Indian Legislators [ MP + MLA ], day-in and day-out :

Ø  Speaking at Seminars / Functions ( topics are irrelevant )

Ø  Inaugurating road-signs / park benches / toilet blocks

Ø  Leading protest processions, after alerting TV Channels

Ø  Waiting at airports to receive ministers ( especially foreign )

Ø  Garlanding statues / photos of heroes ( Who was he ? )

Ø  Joining Parliamentary Delegation to Libya to study the functioning of its vibrant democratic institutions

How can you expect them to study the Lokpal Bill ? But then voting does not require studying !

With regards

Hemen  Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment