Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 26 July 2011

OPIUM OF THE MASSES ?

26 July 2011

OPIUM  OF  THE  MASSES  ?

Karl Marx is supposed to have said ,

“ Religion is the opium of the masses “

Indian politicians are re-writing this to read,

“  Voting in a democratic state is the opium of the masses “

Vote and get into a state of stupor !

Why else would they all gang-up to make voting compulsory ?

Forgetting their differences, political parties are telling the Indian voters :

“  You must vote.

    We are giving you a vast choice to vote and select from amongst 10 / 20 / 30  thoroughly incompetent / corrupt / criminal candidates.

   With so much choice, what is your problem ?

   If you still do not vote, you are a traitor and must be put behind the bars.”

But the voters are saying :

We will go and vote, only when the law permits us to cast a “ negative vote “ -  or provide a blank space on voting paper where we can add the name and vote for an honest neighbor who has neither money for a poll-campaign, nor for “ security deposit ‘ and who we know, will not rob / torture / rape us for the next 5 years.

We will go and vote when we have a “ Right to Recall “ those who utterly fail to represent us.

With regards

Hemen Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment