Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 13 December 2017

Solar Power : GigaWatt or GigaFlop ?




Government has set a target of achieving installed capacity of 100 GW of solar power by 2022



Of this , by end June 2017 , we have reached 15 GW , leaving a balance of 85 GW to be achieved by 2022



In simple terms , this would amount to installing 85 GW in next 60 months ( 1.4 GW / month )



During second quarter ( June / July / Aug ) , only 2,505 MW of capacity was auctioned ( against tenders for 3,408 MW )



During third quarter ( Sept / Oct / Nov ) , only 1,232 MW of capacity was auctioned ( against tenders for 1,456 MW )



{  Source  :  Mercom Capital /  Times of India /  14  Dec  }



So , in past 6 months , we auctioned 3,737 MW ( 3.7 GW ) of solar power capacity ( against tenders for 4,864 MW - no idea how much got “ installed / commissioned  !  )



Whereas , to reach that 85 GW in 60 months , we should have “ installed “ , 8.5 GW in 6 months !



This trend is ominous !



But I believe , worst is in store !



Installing 1.5 GW per month requires a capital of $ 1.5 Billion ( Rs 10,000 Crore ) per month


Private sector just does not have,  either that kind of funds , or that kind of “ Risk Appetite



And with all the accumulated NPAs , banks are unlikely to fund ANY business venture , where its “ Selling Prices “ are dropping at 19 % per year  !



And where , State Discoms are renegading on already signed Power Purchase Agreements , and demanding renegotiation on lower prices !



( Read :





To know , what is the ONLY WAY OUT , read :







I hope it is not too late to copy the Indonesian Experiment !




14  Dec  2017



No comments:

Post a Comment