Here is an opportunity ( or a threat ? ), for India's " Organized / Large Scale Bi-cycle Manufacturers "
May be , between them , HERO / BSA / TI / ATLAS etc large scale manufacturers , produce close to 50 % of India's production of 15 million bicycles per year ( second largest in the World ) , rest being manufactured by hundreds of small scale manufacturers , spread all over the country . Between them , they also export some 3 million bicycles every year !
Bicycles costing Rs 10,000 / - to Rs 20,000 / - each ( going down to Rs 5,000 for locally made cheap versions )
Cambridge ( USA ) based GeoOrbital has come out with a unique bicycle wheel for replacing the Front Wheel of any standard ( 26 " / 28 " ) existing bicycle , to convert it into an " Electric Bicycle " in ONE minute and without any tools !
Changing back to original Front Wheel of your vintage bicycle , will also take no more than ONE minute
GeoOrbital Front Wheel carries a 500 Watt DC motor / a removable Lithium-Io battery / Wheel lock and a Motor Controller ( a simple thumb activated throttle, which is easily clipped onto your handlebar )
Battery needs 3 / 4 hours to recharge ( depending upon capacity ) but gets Regenerative Charge when you pedal !
It will give a range of 20 miles (50 miles if you pedal for exercise ) with a speed of 20 MPH ( without pedaling )
Launched in May 2016 , bulk deliveries will start in Feb 2017 . Overseas orders will be accepted online @ $ 800
If this GeoOrbital front wheel was to be manufactured in India ( in a Joint Venture with GeoOrbital ? ) , then I believe , the selling price could be brought down to Rs 10,000 / - ( opportunity for Indian Bicycle Manufacturers ? )
Can our Policy Makers dream of an URBAN TRANSPORT REVOLUTION ( an Orchestra super-conducted by
Shri Nitin Gadkari ? ) as follows :
# ROLE OF CENTRAL GOVERNMENT
Encourage " Bike Share Taxi " ventures using Electric Bicycles by offering them all sorts of incentives , such as :
* 50 % subsidy on refitting of newly purchased plain bicycles with GeoOrbital Front Wheels
* No Corporate or Personal Income Tax for 10 years
Of course , existence of similar " Bike Share Taxi " ventures in many cities around the World , have already
proved this as a viable model for reducing traffic congestions / vehicle pollution
# ROLE OF CITY MUNICIPALITIES
* Municipalities to make available free " Parking " spaces , all over their cities for such ventures .
* Give 10 % rebate in Property Tax to Co-op Housing Societies which provide 400 sq ft space to " Bike Share
Taxi " ventures , within their compounds , FREE OF RENTAL
* " Bike Share Taxi " scheme may be modeled around similar successful scheme BIXI of Montreal Municipality
# ROLE OF START UP VENTURES
* These Ventures will construct / install their " Docking Stations " at these parking spaces ( GPS connected /
Wi-Fi enabled )
Each Docking Station will automatically recharge built-in Battery, while cycle is parked ( stationary )
* All bicycles owned by these ventures to be GPS enabled for easy tracking by the Venture Owners
* A Digi-Met ( digital meter ) to be fixed on all such bicycles where payment can be made by UPI ( Universal
Payment Interface ) , about to be launched , across entire country ( a vastly user-friendly , Mobile Wallet )
* Rates ( per km or per hour ) to be fixed by a RTO designed fare calculating software , running on Digi-Met
# ROLE OF MANOJ BHARGAVA ( www.BillionsinChange.com )
* Come up with a higher capacity electricity generating bicycle device , which can charge FlashBattery charger
of Start Up , StoresDot
May be he can pre-install that StoresDot's FlashBattery charger into the electricity generating device itself !
# ROLE OF StoresDot
* Modify their FlashBattery Charger ( which is capable of charging a Electric Car Battery in 5 MINUTES ) , to be
able to charge GeoOrbital's replaceable battery pack , within ONE MINUTE
# ROLE OF COOPERATIVE HOUSING SOCIETIES
* As an alternative to providing 400 sq ft open space to " Bike Share Taxi " ventures , build a GYM within the
Society compound ( no need for FSI / no permission from local Municipality / just file plans-drawings ) , which
will house :
# Manoj Bhargava's higher capacity electricity generating bicycles (at least 5) and encourage Members
to exercise on these ( 24 hours open ) , to generate / store electric power for charging StoreDot's
FlashBattery . Credit exercising members with " 5 credit points " for charging their own private GeoOrbital
installed bicycles for each hour of exercise
# Install StoreDot's FlashBattery Chargers , duly connected to those devices for getting charged and make
these available to Society Members who have earned credit points ( Rich members may depute their
domestic servants to exercise on their behalf ! )
This simple innovation / intervention , has the potential to :
# Dramatically reduce traffic congestion in big cities
# Reduce demand for new air-polluting cars using fossil fuel
# Even reduce dependence on Public Transport ( Bus / Metro / Local trains / Taxis )
# Reduce need for car parking spaces on streets
# Improve health of citizens who switch over from car driving to GeoOrbital bicycle pedaling !
# Become a Flag-Bearer to National Electric Mobility Mission Plan ( NEMMP ) which aims to put 6
million Electric Vehicles on our roads by 2020 ; totally possible if those vehicles are " Electric Bicycles " , not
I hope Shri Nitin Gadkariji and Shri Piyush Goyalji , will acknowledge this suggestion , even if they do not agree !
19 Aug 2016
www.hemenparekh.in / blogs