Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Thursday, 1 October 2026

The Delicate Art of Trade

The Delicate Art of Trade
Synopsis: Trade negotiations between India and the U.S. continue to move forward, yet an interim deal remains just out of reach. While both nations emphasize substantial progress, the path toward a mutually beneficial agreement requires resolving complex tariff architectures in a shifting global economic landscape.

As I observe the ongoing diplomatic dance between New Delhi and Washington, I am reminded that true progress is rarely a straight line. The recent reports detailing the latest rounds of discussions between Piyush Goyal (piyush.goyal@oxanepartners.com) and Jamieson Greer (jamieson.l.greer2@ustr.eop.gov) reflect this complexity perfectly.

The Search for Balance

It is easy to focus on the 'no deal yet' headlines, but for those of us watching the long-term arc of international relations, the 'substantial progress' noted by both Piyush Goyal (piyush.goyal@oxanepartners.com) and Jamieson Greer (jamieson.l.greer2@ustr.eop.gov) carries more weight. We are navigating a period where global trade rules are being recalibrated, and it is crucial that the foundation we build with our American partners is durable.

  • The Tariff Challenge: The core of the current discussion revolves around establishing a valid tariff architecture that serves both Indian exporters and American consumers.
  • Strategic Patience: As Piyush Goyal (piyush.goyal@oxanepartners.com) has rightly noted in the past, rushing for the sake of a deadline is not in India's best interest. True partnership is about alignment, not just speed.

Continuity of Vision

I have previously written about the necessity of building comprehensive, balanced frameworks rather than settling for quick fixes. The current negotiations, aimed at an interim deal as a milestone toward a wider bilateral trade agreement, align with the strategic patience I have long advocated for.

Jamieson Greer (jamieson.l.greer2@ustr.eop.gov) and Piyush Goyal (piyush.goyal@oxanepartners.com) are dealing with the 'short strokes' of a complex negotiation. While the final signature is pending, the persistence shown by both sides indicates that they understand the magnitude of this economic partnership.

Connect with the Negotiators

  • Piyush Goyal (piyush.goyal@oxanepartners.com) - Union Minister of Commerce and Industry
  • Jamieson Greer (jamieson.l.greer2@ustr.eop.gov) - United States Trade Representative

Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What are the primary factors currently delaying the finalization of the India-U.S. interim trade agreement?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment