Mumbai Municipal Corporation is about to implement a “ Pay and Park “ policy for vehicles
Parking charges will differ – and depend upon :
· Day parking vs Night Parking ( 8 pm to 8 am )
( Night time charges will be 50 % of Day time charges )
· Location Category
A = Prime Areas by Footfall
B = Busy Commercial Areas
C = Other Areas
· Vehicle Category
4 wheelers = Buses / Cars ( Day time : Rs 3960 – 1320 pm )
2 Wheelers = Motorcycles ( Day time : Rs 1650 – 550 pm )
· All rates will be different on Sunday and Public Holiday
· Only one slot will be available per car owner and housing societies will have to get in touch with their local ward office to know the particulars
· For each location category, there will be different rates for “ Hourly Parking “, ranging as follows :
# Cat A = Rs 60 / Cat B = Rs 40 / Cat C = Rs 20 ( for 4 wheelers )
# Cat A = Rs 15 / Cat B = Rs 5 / Cat C = Rs 5 ( for 2 wheelers )
Charges will change “ Parking Duration “ wise ( 1-3 hr / 3-6 hr / 6-12 hr / 12-24 hr )
· Parking will be FREE for certain designated areas
WILL APPLY TO
· There are some 30 lakh vehicles in Mumbai , comprising 17 lakh 2 wheelers and 9 lakh , 4 wheelers ( no idea about vehicles in transit or being scrapped ! )
· Some 500 new vehicles are getting registered DAILY
· More than half of these are being parked on public roads ( day and night )
· Mumbai boasts of 2000 km of public roads
WHO WILL ISSUE “ PARKING PERMITS “ ?
Some “ humans “ sitting in RTO or some other Government Department
WHAT PROOF WILL THEY NEED ?
· Domicile Certificate
· Aadhar Card
· Proof of Residential Addresses ( or Office Address ) from your building Societies
· Car Registration Book ( proof that car belongs to YOU )
· Letters from Society Secretaries confirming that you are not allotted any parking space inside the Society premises
· Letter from RTO re number of vehicles registered in your name
WHAT CRITERIA WILL BE USED WHILE GRANTING PARKING PERMIT ?
· Number of members in applicant’s family
· Number of vehicles in applicant’s family
· Duration of stay in Mumbai
· Duration of ownership of vehicles
· Location Category ( Resi / Office )
· Daily Travel direction and distance to be covered ( to / from )
· Whether Petrol / Diesel or Electric Vehicle
· Reason for not using “ Public Transport “
· Why you cannot use a 2 wheeler in place of a 4 wheeler ?
· Why you cannot work at night instead of in day time ? or a staggered shift ?
· If coming to work from outside Municipal Limits , why can’t you leave your vehicle outside and take a taxi ?
· Why can’t you take your family for a movie on a Sunday ?
CAN A HUMAN REJECT YOUR CLAIM BASED ON THESE CRITERIA ?
· That is the whole idea ! How else can he “ oblige “ you – for a “ consideration “ ?
CANNOT A SOFTWARE ALGORITHM ALLOT PARKING PERMITS FAIRLY ?
· No big deal for a software to decide : “ Who “ gets to park, “ Where and When “
· If actual traffic pattern ( including ,” which “vehicle was stationary – parked – and “ when “ – and for “ how long “ ) can be compiled for a period of 3 months , then , using BIG DATA ANALYTICS , this can be done by a software
WHAT WILL BE REQUIRED ?
· Every vehicle to be fitted with a RFID sensor / GPS locator app
· Exclusive Transponder on a Geo-Synchronous Satellite
CAN ANYTHING BE DONE TO AUTOMATE COLLECTION OF PARKING CHARGES ?
· No problem ! Since the days of coin-operated Parking Meters on footpaths , technology has made tremendous progress
· May be latest version of such meters do not require coins but swipe of a card
· Only problem is that you need an army of Traffic Policemen who can keep roaming Mumbai’s 2000 km of roads , to find out which Parking Meter is showing RED FLAG , indicating expiry of parking time !
And of course , “ hafta trade “ will flourish like anything !
WHAT OTHER TECHNOLOGIES CAN HELP ?
· Shri Nitin Gadkariji has already introduced automated toll gates where car owners need not stop to pay the toll charges . Vehicles which have installed pre-paid RFID sensors can just whiz pass ! Toll amount gets deducted / transferred , automatically
There is no technological difficulty in “ reversing “ this application for stationary vehicles !
· Then there are drones !
An army of drones can keep tab ( 24*7 ) of all stationary vehicles , find those which are stationary at the same GPS location for more than 10 minutes and deduct the appropriate “ parking charges “ from those pre-paid RFID sensors , installed in all vehicles . No rocket science this ! Vehicle batteries will supply power to RFID chips
· And if you do not want to track / monitor / control , an army of DRONES , then just ask ISRO to launch a Geo-Synchronous Satellite to do the same job for ALL the vehicles in ALL the cities of India !
WHY DO WE NEED TO DECIDE , WHO WILL / CAN , PARK WHERE AND WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG ?
Let vehicle owners park any number of vehicles , anywhere and at any time and for any period – if they manage to find a parking slot !
As long as vehicles are installed with pre-paid RFID chips , our Geo Satellite will keep collecting parking charges and transfer to the bank account of Mumbai Municipal Corporation !
NO HUMAN INTERVENTION !
NO ARBITRARY DECISIONS !
NO NEED FOR MILLIONS OF APPLICATIONS TO BE PROCESSED !
NO NEED FOR COLLECTION MACHINERY !
NO ARMY OF TRAFFIC POLICE TO CHECK PARKING VIOLATIONS !
NO SCOPE FOR HAFTAS !
And ISRO will do all of this for , may be Rs 100 crores , which is dirt cheap !
If all 20 crore vehicles get covered by this Satellite , cost per vehicle will be just Rs 5 / -
HOW MUCH CAN BMC EARN USING SUCH A SATELLITE ?
Here is an approx. estimate based on average of parking rates proposed by BMC :
# For Day / Night Parking Slots ( allotted )
· For 9 lakh 4 wheelers ….. Rs 237 Crore / month
· For 17 lakh 2 wheelers…. Rs 187 Crore / month
· For 4 lakh others………….. Rs 60 Crore / month
# For hourly rate parking ( non-alloted )
TOTAL …………………………… Rs 784 Crore / month ( Rs 9,408 Cr / year )
Now it is not difficult for NDA Ministers concerned ( Shri Nitin Gadkariji / Shri Venkaiah Naiduji ) to compute such “ Revenue “ figures for ALL other municipalities and conclude that the Geo Satellite will pay for itself in just ONE DAY !
Please , do not misunderstand me
I am not publishing this blog in order to influence the voters in tomorrow’s BMC elections , to vote for that party which promises to implement my suggestion !
20 Feb 2017
www.hemenparekh.in / blogs