Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 15 April 2017

Standardization is not that simple !



Just read from news papers that Shri Ram Vilas Paswanji wants to standardize on the portions of different dishes being served in hotels / restaurants


Where Angels fear to tread ?


A food item served in a hotel has many attributes among which , Weight or Volume ( Quantity ) is just one


Consider these other :


·         Quality of the various ingredients used in preparing that dish

·          
·         Whether vegetable ingredients are “ Organically “ produced or with chemical fertilizers

·          
·         Calorific Value ( Energy value ) of the final preparation

·          
·         Can it be classified as “ Junk Food “ ? or “ Health Food “ ?

·          
·         Vitamin content

·          
·         Use of non-permissible colours

·          
·         Presence of some toxic materials

·          
·         Presence of oils that might cause increased Cholesterol level

·          
·         Hygienic condition of the kitchen where prepared

·          
·         Cleanliness of the cooks

·          
·         Whether the ingredients are FRESH or STALE

·          
·         Whether portion was prepared 10 minutes earlier or 3 days earlier !

·          
·         Whether price for a dosa is Rs 30 or Rs 60 !

·          
Of course , no one can / will object to the idea of “ not wasting of food “


But I am not sure this can be achieved by “ Standardizing “ on the QUANTITY of food served in hotels / restaurants !



15  April  2017




No comments:

Post a Comment