Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 9 June 2018

Making best of a bad bargain ?




I will repeat what I have been saying for the past couple of years


Protecting your own personal / private data from being used by all sorts of businesses for making money, is getting impossible


So , why not “ sell “ it yourself and , in the process , make some money  ?


Cut out the middleman !


Of course , such a “ new rule of the game “ , will require some sensible DATA PROTECTION LAW which goes beyond mere “ protection “ and enables “ empowerment “


I believe , GDPR . launched in EU on 25th May , may somewhat protect such “ Unauthorised Mis-use “ of a person’s data but it fails to “ empower “ that person to permit “ Authorised Re-use “ of his data by third parties , and in the process , make money for himself  !


To overcome this ( lack of empowerment ) , I proposed :










Now, I have found a support for my idea





Extract :



Alice Liogier wants to slap a price on her data.

The 23-year-old graduate student from Paris is researching the commercial use of personal information in the age of big data and she’s reached a controversial conclusion:

If people really do own their data, then they should be allowed to sell it.

It’s not about privacy, she says, it’s about ownership and control.


“The debate right now is focused on data protection and privacy -- that’s where fears have crystallized,” Liogier says. “But selling data and data ownership is the next big topic, and probably the most important topic.”


Real data ownership will mean having all your information from political ideas, to skin-care preferences and medical records in one place so you can decide who gets to access it and on what terms.


That could mean selling it, granting limited use in exchange for a service (like Facebook), or simply keeping it private. The point is to have control.



10  June  2018



No comments:

Post a Comment