Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 4 August 2023

“ Cease and Desist “ Request

 


 

Context :

Government explores live TV on phones without mobile-data: Report  .. DNA  /  05 Aug 2023


Extract :

The government is considering a new way to bring live TV channels directly to mobile phones, a concept similar to direct-to-home (DTH) services. This technology, called "Direct-to-Mobile" (D2M), aims to enable users to watch TV on their mobiles without needing a data connection.

The Economic Times, in an August 5 report citing government sources, revealed that the Department of Telecommunications (DoT), the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB), and IIT-Kanpur are collaborating on this initiative.

While this idea holds potential, telecom operators might resist due to concerns about potential loss of data revenue. Their earnings heavily rely on video consumption, and this D2M approach could impact their 5G business strategies.

One official, preferring anonymity, stated, "We are examining the feasibility, and the final decision will involve discussions with all stakeholders, including telecom operators." A forthcoming meeting is expected to involve representatives from the DoT, MIB, IIT-Kanpur, and both the telecom and broadcast sectors.

Given the imminent launch of 5G, government authorities are considering merging content delivery methods, aiming for a convergence of broadcast and broadband services.

 


My Take :


Dear Shri Anurag Thakurji

( Minister for Information and Broadcasting  /  minister.inb@gov.in )

 

I am in no position to issue to you , a “ Cease and Desist “ order but I send to you

this “ cease and desist “ REQUEST


Here is why :

In my email sent to you a few days ago (  Curbing use of Smartphone ?  ) , I had said :

 

Ø  Excessive use of Smartphones is a bigger problem for India than for the rest of the World

 

Ø  There is enough evidence that this is going to get worse

 

Ø  I have a feeling ( no proof ) that Indian parents are proving to be POOR “ Role Models “   for their children. Probably, they spend 8 hours per day on their Smartphones

 

Ø  I am afraid that , left without some fool-proof solution , this “ Smart Disease “ can debilitate our youth – much the same way as DRUGS

 

Dear Anuragji,

 

 

I am not pleading on behalf of  MSPs / TV Channels / ISPs / OTTs etc

I am speaking on behalf of SANITY

As it is, young people of India are spending ( on an average ) 5 HOURS / DAY , on their Smartphones

This is affecting their studies and causing frustrations / mental depression / anxiety etc

Forgetting about how poor people in our country struggle to eke out a living, our affluent young people are living in an ALTERNATE REALITY of glamour dished out by Youtube Videos

They have developed an ESCAPE MENTALITY

If your proposal gets implemented, these youngsters will spend 10 HOURS / DAY , on their Smartphones  !

“ TV on Smartphone “ ( a cocktail worse than drugs ),  will turn them into ZOMBIES !

Our youth will become incapable of any CREATIVE THINKING of their own

They will become living “ REPEATER STATIONS / TRANSMITTERS “ , of content created by others

 

I urge you to give up this project . Generations to come will thank you

 

With regards,

Hemen Parekh

www.hemenparekh.ai / 05 Aug 2023

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment