Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 20 June 2011

Child Labor in India

Times of India [ June 13, 2011 ] reports as follows :
? According to ILO, “ Accelerating Action Against Child Labor “ Report ( 2010 ), there are 215 million children employed as child labor worldwide.
? There are 45.2 million child labor in India, as per National Commission for Enterprises in Unorganized Sector ( 2007 )
? NGO “ Bachpan Bachao Andolan “ estimates the number at 60 million
? Instead of paying Rs.115 per day ( approx. $ 2.5 ), which is National Floor Wage, these children are paid only Rs.15 per day ( approx. $ 0.30 ) as wages
? As a result, these Indian employers ( exploiters ) are pocketing around Rs. 120,000 Crores ( approx. $ 27 billion ) annually, by employing children and by not paying taxes
ILO may not know but I am sure NGO knows that these children are made to work 12 hours per day and often sleep on the same factory floor where they work – after having one slice of bread and a cup of tea for dinner !
Cry, beloved country !

With regards

Hemen Parekh

No comments:

Post a Comment