Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 28 June 2011

WOMEN’S RESERVATION BILL - INDIA

Here is a synopsis :

Ø         First introduced in Lok Sabha ( Lower House ) by United Front Government in 1996

Ø         Calls for 33 % reservation of seats for women from Lok Sabha to local legislatures. Panchayats ( village councils ) already have 33.3 % reservation for women

Ø         Who is supporting whole-heartedly ?

Congress  /  BJP  /  AIDMK  / other parties

Ø         Who supports conditionally ?

Samajwadi Party / Bahujan Samaj Party / Rashtriya Janata Dal etc.

Ø         What is their condition ?

Within the 33 % quota, there must be a sub-quota for women from backward classes

Ø         Why this condition ?

They are afraid that in absence of a sub-quota, the bill will only help women from the elitist groups

Ø         Who can bring about a compromise ?

Lok Sabha Speaker ( Ms )  Meira Kumar – herself a woman from a backward class

Ø         What has been the progress so far ?

Bill has already been passed in Rajya Sabha ( Upper House ) in 2010

Ø         What can we do ?

Pray that it does not meet the fate of the Lokpal Bill !

With  regards

HEMEN  PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment