Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 22 June 2011

SURVIVING IN INDIA ? NO BIG DEAL.

Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission of India, Shri Montek Singh Ahluwalia thinks , one can survive in an Indian city for Rs.578 ( approx.$ 12.5 ) per month.

That is Rs.20 per day ( $ 0.35 ).

If you do, you are not “ poor “ – as defined by Planning Commission !

And don’t let it worry you that United Nations computes International Poverty Line at $ 1.25 per day.

Now, members of National Advisory Council, Aruna Roy , Jean Dreze and Harsh Mander were a bit skeptical.

So they went to the market and managed to buy with Rs.20  :

  • one small aluminum spoon

  • 25 grams of dal

  • Half a slice of bread

  • Some washing powder

  • A torn piece of cloth

Then presented the packet ( obviously without gift wrapping ! ) to Montek Singh – who was not amused !

All the while, TV Channels were busy reporting on Lokpal Bill.

May be Aruna Roy and her colleagues should have undertaken a 10 am to 6 pm “ Survival Event “ at Jantar Mantar – solely depending on their purchase !

With regards

HEMEN  PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment