Shri Shashi Tharoor bats for Presidential form of government
I bat for a Coalition Form of government
In a recent article for “ project Syndicate “ , Shashi Tharoor said :
“ Elections to India’s 29 states, spread over many phases, are invariably seen as a plebiscite on the national government of the day
And this puts pressure on Prime Ministers to frequently leave aside their role as leader of the country to act as leader of their party
With a more expansive and predictable election cycle, India’s leaders would be able to move beyond the unpleasant business of political consideration, and settle down to governance
MY BELIEF :
As seen in yesterday’s defeat of TRUMPcare ( to replace OBAMAcare ) , it is evident that, even a Presidential form of government in USA , could not ensure “ Sabka Saath , Sabka Vikas “ !
Sunday, 2 October 2016
This has reference to my yesterday's blog :
where I suggested ,
* Expand Union Government cabinet to 100 Ministerial positions ( 20% of Lok Sabha membership )
* Allot Ministerial positions to ALL parties in proportion to their number of seats in Lok Sabha
As my friend Gurudatta had earlier pointed out, this arrangement will do away with the concept of OPPOSITION
Since this suggestion is bound to send shocks through the Political Fabric of India , here are some aftershocks :
* Without any danger of a " Vote of No Confidence " , every government will last its full 5 year tenure
* Government will not need to " reach out " to opposition members. Being part of Collective Responsibility , each
Minister will go out and " sell " a Cabinet decision to other MPs belonging to his party
* Budget provisions will be easy to get approved
* Bills will cease to be controversial and get passed quickly
* Debates in Lok Sabha will get much shorter, to the point - and much more polite ( no name calling ) !
* There will be fewer Zero Hour questions and fewer " Points of Order " needing ruling by the Speaker
* Lok Sabha attendance - and consequent productivity - will improve vastly
Along with this suggestion , we must also introduce mobile app ,
If a MP fails to come up to the expectations of the Voters of his constituency , he will get " Re-called " and lose his seat in the Lok Sabha !
Horror of horror !
If that happens , his party's share ( percentage ) in Lok Sabha will come down , with consequential loss of a Minister-ship !
Would not that be a strong incentive for every party to insist / demand , the highest standard of " Performance " of its elected MPs ? I think , each party will set up an internal process to evaluate performance of its members
Now couple this with my earlier suggestion whereby every candidate must sign ( e-Signature ) and accept to implement , a voters' " Charter of Demand " , uploaded on the web site of the Election Commission , making it easy for the voters of his constituency to judge / evaluate / rate , his performance
26 March 2017
www.hemenparekh.in / blogs