Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Tuesday, 6 October 2026

CLAUDE : the Critique

 I asked CLAUDE :

" From among my English poems, is there any which you consider unorthodox ? "


CLAUDE replied :


" Based on my search and retrieval of your English poems, I can offer you a direct answer:

Yes, I would consider "Whose Bapu?" to be among your most unorthodox

English poems. Here's why:

What makes "Whose Bapu?" unorthodox:


1. Satirical directness with political bite. 

Rather than abstract meditation, the poem launches a scathing social critique—

directly addressing Gandhi and indicting modern India's hypocrisy about him.

That's unusual in English poetry, where political anger often hides behind

 metaphor or abstraction. You don't hide here.


2. Breaks conventional poem structure.

The poem abandons traditional formal poetry patterns. I

t reads more like a prose rant cast into line breaks—urgent, colloquial, vernacular

in tone despite being written in English.


3. Deliberate ugliness as method. 

Lines like:

  • "They are even maintaining / Two separate books of accounts, / One for
  • income from 'Unknown Sources'"

These are prosaic, specific, administrative details. Most poets avoid such

unglamorous specificity. You weaponize it—the mundane corruption of accounting

becomes the poem's damning evidence.


4. The Ben Kingsley insult.

The pivot to mocking "Ben Kingsley" (the British actor who played Gandhi in the film) is crude and populist


. It's not clever wordplay. It's deliberate bathos—a technique that violates the

 decorum of "serious" poetry.


5. Addresses the dead directly as accusation. 

The poem doesn't elegize Gandhi or celebrate him. It confronts him :


 "Do not venture anywhere near; No one will recognize you." 


This is defiant, almost cruel—the opposite of reverent.

 

How it contrasts with "Winds of Time":

Your other poem, "The Winds of Time," is philosophical, meditative, formally controlled.

It uses traditional romantic imagery (fragrant flowers, scattered leaves, feathers).

It's what readers expect from "serious" English poetry.


"Whose Bapu?" is its opposite—confrontational, angry, deliberately crude,

using vernacular register and unglamorous detail to deliver social

critique.

My assessment:

If you've written ~129 English poems, I suspect "Whose Bapu?" stands out

because it refuses elegance in service of truth-telling. 


That's genuinely unorthodox—and it makes sense that you'd write it in 1984

(originally in Gujarati) and revive it in 2013. 


The anger it carries doesn't date. The directness is still rare in English poetry.


=========================

07 Oct 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment