With arrival of dozens of news-aggregating Mobile Apps , hard copy news-papers are in danger of getting " extinct "
What will news-papers look like 5 years from now ?
Here is my prediction :
# All news will become digital
# These may appear on your bed-room wall or on a foldable blank sheet of
plastic ( display device ) , whenever you choose to ignore your Mobile .
Of course , VR device makers would want you to wear a headset !
Now comes the FUN part !
Currently , most hard-copy news papers group their news on pages titled :
City / Nation / Global - International / Sports / Politics / Entertainment etc
Tomorrow's digital news will get aggregated under following genres :
Scam / Fraud / Fiction-like / Irony / Insult / Arrogance / Hope / Reform / Red Herring / Shame / Bravo / Future / Ego / Introspection / Ridicule / Bravado / Boasting / Insensitive / Scorn / One-up-man ship / Holier-than-Thou / Absurd / Tongue-in-Cheek / Laugh / Deja Vu ...........etc
To show you how such " re-categorization " can be so much more fun - and interesting - , I have compiled a few recent headlines , as follows :
# RED HERRING
Pak to charge Lakhvi
* Shah : BJP will dominate
* Diggy says : Congress binds India
* Gadkari : Our Ministry will contribute 2-3% to GDP growth
* Mumbai Top Cop to probe Dawood's calls to Maha Minister
* Onus of fallen bldgs on Assistant Chiefs : TMC
* No failure is permanent : Sonia to Cong
* " Industry " coined from Indus , says VHP man
* ED set to seize Mallya's assets
* Bank Panel readies plan to resolve bad loan woes
* Women's entry in Haji Ali gets Ajmer Sharif's support
* Govt formulating scheme to provide compulsory power to all : says Goyal
# FRAUD / SCAM
* City mono rail running Rs 20 lakh loss per day
* Govt took back 900 acres of grabbed land
* More than half of the newly elected MLAs are crore-patis
* Varsity staff arrested for selling answer sheets
* PWD redoes newly built stretch on EEH
* Not many paying toll : IRB to NHAI
* Despite 1521 complaints, BMC issues notices to only 81 sites
# TONGUE - IN - CHEEK
* Son-rise interrupted, it's a bad heir day in politics
* Sherpa climbs Everest for record 7th time
* Kandivli woman chases , nabs molester
# NON ISSUE
* Push for vigil on dance bars
* Septuagenarian couple having child , triggers debate
* Kangana is 31 ( not 29 )
* Rishi Kapoor : I am not against the Congress at all
* Expect less flooding this year , says BMC
* Irla Nullah de-silting is perfect , says Civic officials
* Telgi case convict seeks court nod to travel to Canada for son's
* Pak prosecution seeks autopsy reports for all 26/11 victims
* Mumbai is rain ready , claims BMC
* Civic body to launch new pothole tracking App on June 1
* Black Money window not to accept " corrupt " money
* Tharoor , Digvijay Singh ask Congress to attempt revival
* Don't go slow on bad loan clean up : RBI
* Consumers do learn from Ads
* BMC attempts to stop sewage entry into Powai lake
* Spot illegal sand mining in your area? Send email to Environment Ministry
* Congolese killed in Delhi after brawl for auto
* Live wire put up by Govt contractor , kills man
* Iran women cut hair short to dodge moral cops
* Conviction rate of ACB-Mumbai , dips to ZERO with acquittals in all 29
* A wristband gives shock if you overspend
* Google's sticky cars to pick up pedestrians they crash into
Now , why do newspaper EDITORS want to wait for going digital ?
May be , following extract from Marshall McLuhan's book ( The Medium is the " Massage " - a typo for " Message " ) , will help them make up their minds :
" The Medium is the Massage demonstrates how modern media are extensions of human senses; they ground us in physicality, but expand our ability to perceive our world to an extent that would be impossible without the media ."
I am sure , as soon as just ONE newspaper experiments with this REVOLUTIONARY FORMAT , others will try to catch-up !
This format is designed to appeal to the sentiments and emotions of the readers , what Marketing Guru , Jack Trout describes as :
" Positioning is the place a product occupies in consumers' minds relative to competing products ".
24 May 2016
www.hemenparekh.in / blogs