Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Thursday, 8 October 2026

Phased AI: A Necessary Control

Phased AI: A Necessary Control
Synopsis: Google's decision to restrict the powerful Gemini 4 Argon model to vetted cybersecurity experts highlights the critical need for phased AI deployment. This shift toward mandatory, pre-release safety testing aligns with my long-standing belief that responsible stewardship is essential for managing the dual-edged nature of frontier AI.

The recent news that Google has unveiled its most powerful AI model, Gemini 4 Argon, only to restrict its access to a vetted group of cybersecurity defenders, strikes a chord with me. It is a validation of the concerns I have voiced for years: that state-of-the-art technology is a double-edged sword—offering transformative potential while simultaneously opening new avenues for deception, fraud, and cyber malice.

The Necessity of Guardrails

Koray Kavukcuoglu (korayk@google.com), Google’s chief AI architect, rightly noted that safely releasing frontier capabilities requires a phased approach. By channeling the model first through Google’s Fairwind Program to trusted defenders, Google is providing a critical 'adaptation window.' This allows the good guys to patch vulnerabilities before bad actors can exploit them using the same AI. This is a practical application of the principles behind what I have called my "Parekh’s Law of ChatBots."

In our rush toward innovation, we often neglect the structural integrity of our creations. As I have previously discussed, the weaponization of AI is not a future fear; it is a present reality. When Sundar Pichai (sundar@google.com) and Dario Amodei (dario@anthropic.com) pledge to police their systems, it is a significant step toward acknowledging that safety is a shared responsibility, not just an afterthought. As I have emphasized, for leaders like Sundar Pichai (sundar@google.com) and Dario Amodei (dario@anthropic.com), this commitment must be relentless.

Continuity and Commitment

I have long advocated for three pillars of AI safety:

  • Robust regulation and certification: Mandatory pre-release testing is not a hurdle to innovation; it is a prerequisite for long-term success.
  • Economic policies: We must protect those whose livelihoods are displaced while sharing the prosperity generated by AI.
  • Technical safety layers: Think of this as an 'AI vaccine' that intercepts harmful outputs before they reach the user.

Whether we are building a digital twin for personal immortality or a revolutionary industrial model, the meticulous details of safety and guardrails remain paramount. The move to restrict Argon is not about stalling progress; it is about ensuring that progress does not lead to catastrophe.

We must continue to demand transparency, auditable safeguards, and product design that treats stewardship as a core responsibility. The era of 'move fast and break things' is over; the era of responsible innovation has arrived.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What is the primary reason Google decided to restrict access to its new Gemini 4 Argon AI model?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment