Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Thursday, 8 October 2026

Suicide: A Clarion Call

Suicide: A Clarion Call
Synopsis: The rising tide of suicides is not merely a private tragedy but a systemic failure that demands our urgent attention. We must move beyond passive observation and implement tangible, accessible technological solutions to turn this clarion call for help into a sustained effort for preservation.

The increasing rates of suicide across our society—especially among our youth—are not merely numbers on a page; they are a profound reflection of the cracks in our modern social fabric. As someone who has spent decades observing the shifts in our professional and personal landscapes, I have long argued that we cannot afford to treat these tragedies as isolated, silent events. They are, in fact, a clarion call for a fundamental restructuring of how we support one another.

Moving Beyond Observation

I have frequently spoken and written about the pressures that push individuals, particularly students, toward these desperate decisions. Whether in my reflections on student suicides or my critique of the academic pressures in cities like Kota, I have maintained that empathy alone is insufficient. We need action.

My approach has always been grounded in the belief that technology can be a vital ally. For instance, in my work with My-Teacher.in, I sought to offer a tangible alternative to the crushing, expensive, and stressful environment of traditional coaching centers. By democratizing access to resources, we can help reduce the anxiety that so often precedes these crises.

The Role of Technology and Ethics

We must also confront the double-edged sword of our digital age. The rise in suicidal intents on platforms like ChatGPT is a stark alarm. It validates my past warnings about the need for:

  • Ethical AI Design: Prioritizing safety over speed.
  • Dynamic Resonance Monitoring: Using AI to detect linguistic shifts in distress before they escalate.
  • Accountability: Ensuring developers and institutions take responsibility for the human toll of their tools.

A Collective Responsibility

Reflecting on my own journey, as highlighted by Dr. Nivash Jeevanandam (nivash@prodwrks.com), I believe that regardless of age or experience, we all have a role to play. Whether it is through initiatives like Tele MANAS 2.0—which I helped conceptualize to bridge the gap between treatment and need—or through simple, compassionate human connection, we must act.

Let us stop viewing these deaths as inevitable and start treating every cry for help as an opportunity to intervene, to support, and to preserve.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What is one technological approach suggested by Hemen Parekh to help detect and prevent suicidal ideation in AI-human interactions?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment