In April 2016 , I read a book :
WHAT’s MINE is YOURS ( Authors : Rachel Botsman / Roo Rogers )
As I continued reading , I could not help making notes in margins ( see below )
- notes re my own concept of “ Sharing “ of Resumes among Employers / Recruiters , as briefly outlined in :
I have no doubt that it is a matter of a few months before some Start Up translates this concept into reality . I would be happy to help
30 June 2017
Page XV ( Introduction Chapter )
· Without an offline “ Search Engine “ , ownership of “ text “ resumes on hard disk, has no value . Hence , mere sharing / swapping of TEXT resumes cannot interest anyone !
· Employer ( and Recruitment Agencies as well ), have no “ NECESSITY “ to exchange text resumes lying “ unused “ , on their hard disks . And no one will “ pay “ for “ buying “ old text resumes lying on someone’s hard disk !
· The only reason, they would want to be a MEMBER of “ ResumesExchange “ , would be the GuruSearch ( Resume Search Engine , developed by us ) , that would be to turn unsearchable TEXT resumes into a “ SEARCHABLE DATABASE “
· That would be the only motivation
· ResumesExchange , if quickly developed and implemented in India , could get replicated elsewhere
· I have started giving away the Source Codes of my old job portals ( so far 3 takers )
· Diagram showing > Jobseekers depositing resumes on several job portals > All employers sourcing resumes from job portals, but NOT sharing among one another . ResumesExchange will enable them to exchange resumes
· Should we rename , “ Resume Exchange “ to “ Resume Synchronize “ ? Since , we wish to convey that you are not giving up your text resumes – only synchronizing your “ resume database “ with ALL registered users’ databases ! Sounds much more appealing !
· I have repeatedly said that SAME ( or same type ) text resumes get downloaded from job portals , again & again – even when an Employer’s hard disk is full of similar resumes – only because these are NOT SEARCHABLE !
· By not allowing Employers to download its ONLINE SEARCH ENGINE , job portals ensure that Employers keep coming back , again & again !
· In Jainism , there is a VOW / PRACTICE of “ ASTEYA “, which requires a person to use / consume , just MINIMUM of EVERYTHING required to survive !
· If ResumesExchange ( or ResumeSynchronize.com ) gets launched , can we expect the Employers to rally around it , in order to get out of the clutches of Naukri / MonsterIndia / Timesjobs ?
· What could it mean to Employment Scenario ( especially to millions of jobless ) , if 50 MILLION resumes are on hard disks of 10 MILLION , medium / large Employers ?
· For my vision of W3F ( World Wide Work Federation ), I have yet to find a “ Platform “ and create a “ Network “ of Indian Start Ups
· I am hoping that, one of these Start Ups , will succeed in launching “ ResumesExchange.com “ and that becomes a platform
· It is just 5 / 6 weeks since I started my campaign ( ALLOW ME TO SHARE ), and got 2 / 3 persons excited
· Naukri / MonsterIndia / Timesjobs etc are “ Elitists “ , charging HUGE annual Subscription ( Rs 3 / 4 lakhs ) to Employers for posting jobs and searching / downloading resumes
· By not allowing Employers to download their “ RESUME SEARCH ENGINE “, they ensure that Employers continue as Subscribers , year after year
· RESUMESEXCHANGE.COM WILL MAKE THEM IRRELEVANT !
· When Employers can exchange resumes , they don’t need Naukri , making ResumesExchange such a weapon
· I suppose ( at least ) medium size Employers , who need to hire 2 / 5 persons each year , would have “ Common Interest “ of saving those fancy Subscription Fees
· Full / functional revival of RecruitGuru.com, is stuck due to few remaining “ errors “ , despite Kartavya’s efforts
· I am trying to motivate Dinesh / Srinivasan etc to “ Collaborate “ and remove these errors
· Without full revival of this “ Parsing Software “ , it is not possible to develop ResumesExchange
· May be in my promo email ( ALLOW ME TO SHARE ) , I should pose this challenge to s/w geeks of India , with a request to share their findings with ALL . I should consult Mr Nagle for help
· We need to create such an “ Open Infrastructure “ for W3F ( World Wide Work Federation ) to succeed
· ResumesExchange would fall under this category
· [ Author : Redistribution Markets > Social networks enable USED or PRE-OWNED goods to be redistributed from where they are not needed to somewhere or someone where they are , fueling the second type of collaboration consumption , redistribution markets….
Often exchanges are conducted between ANONYMOUS STRANGERS, but sometimes the market-places connect people who know each other…………….
Regardless of the specifics of the exchange, a redistribution market encourages RE-USING and RE-SELLING old items rather than throwing them out, and also significantly reduces waste ]
· Once ResumesExchange catches on , no Employer / Recruiter, will need to go back to Naukri / MonsterIndia / Timesjobs etc, again & again , in order to download “ more “ resumes , thereby “ saving “ Subscription Fees
· “ Saving “ of Subscription fees , will be “ Intended “ consequence for employers joining ResumesExchange, but “ Jobs for All “ could well turn out to be an “ Unintended Consequence “ , if Resume Databases on MILLIONS of hard disks get “ Synchronized “ , each carrying millions of SEARCHABLE RESUMES
· A participating Employer of ResumesExchange , may , in one year , donate ( say ) 1,000 resumes lying UNUSED on his hard disk, but , he may receive ONE MILLION or even TEN MILLION , in return ! Hence , it is in his self-interest to join
· We must recognize / anticipate that large companies are unlikely to join ResumesExchange, in the beginning .
· Our focus should be to rope-in MSME ( some 20 Million ) who need to hire , just 2 / 4 employees , each year – and therefore , cannot “ afford “ high Subscription fees of Naukri
· As far as ResumesExchange goes, it is NOT an exchange of resumes between TWO strange ( employers ) directly.
· As far as creation of “ TRUST “ is concerned , we will upload a “ Starting Database “ of a few lakh resumes , which a “ Joinee “ gets on very first day of joining !
· For Employers / Recruiters , Resume Search on Naukri, is the “ Conventional Shopping “ – where ( I believe ) , they can “ choose “ , but download at a time, no more than 5 resumes .
· As against this , on ResumesExchange, there is NO CHOICE , but they can download LAKHS of resumes , DAILY ! We would have the critical mass
· A “ SYNCHRONIZATION STATUS “ panel will tell him,
# how many he uploaded
# how many he downloaded
· Since , we propose to build into the OFFLINE TOOL , a RESUME SEARCH ENGINE, users will be able to “ search “ , several thousand resumes on VERY FIRST DAY , and get satisfied with quality
· I too , am inclined for “ ResumeSynchronize.com “ , instead of ResumeExchange.com . Indeed , “ Synchronization of Resume Databases “ , is what will happen
· Only , in our case , we have no means to check the “ Quality “ of resumes being uploaded
· There is nothing “ local “ about ResumeSync.com
· For ResumeSync.com , very likely this core group could be hundreds of medium size RECRUITMENT AGENCIES , who today, depend upon Naukri for their supply of resumes. They would be delighted if they can find all the “ suitable “ resumes on their OWN hard disks – and , thereby , avoid paying subscription to Naukri
· Dynamically increasing “ List of Subscribers “ ( counter ) is a must
· How many joinees ? ( subscriber list )
· How many resumes did each donate yesterday ?
· Total cumulative donations
· This is precisely the logic behind ResumeSync
· There are , may be , 100 MILLION resumes lying UNUSED ( because Un-Searchable ) on a million hard disks
· ResumeSync is not merely meant to be a BLACK HOLE that sucks up all resumes , from every hard disk , like a Vacuum Cleaner , but it adds VALUE to those “ TEXT RESUMES “ , by parsing and converting those into a STRUCTURED and SEARCHABLE database ,
Then “ Re-distributes “ those to the participants
This “ Parsing “ is the KEY to converting what is essentially TRASH into useful stuff
· My BIG DATA analytic project for 4 million job advts , downloaded over past 8 years , is to be able to PREDICT :
# WHO ( which Company ) , will advertise
# WHAT job ( Vacancy ) , and
# WHEN ( date / month )
· On Uber ( share – a – taxi ) app, you can see cars available for hiring , in your locality – and , even their movements in real time !
· Can we build-in a software constraint , so that the minimum number of resumes that can be uploaded ( ie; synced ) at any given time, is 100 ? - to ensure , minimum of “ Reciprocity “ ?
· It will be a fact in ResumeSync , some small employers may “ contribute “ no more than 5 / 10 resumes in a month , but continue to download ( through SYNC button ) , millions ! So , an employer who is capable of donating ( say ) 1,000 resumes per day , may wonder :
“ Why should I be a member of ResumeSync ? “
“ Those 1,000 per day and may be 50,000 already lying earlier on your hard disk , are of NO USE to you , since these are NOT SEARCHABLE .
Only our TOOL can parse these and make these searchable, provided you join ResumeSync “
· Does this mean , on ResumeSync , we publish :
WHO has donated HOW MANY resumes , so far ? ( in descending order ? )
Such transparency is desirable
· Job Portals ( like Naukri ) are such a middleman – but , between jobseekers and employers
· One may say :
Why should any employer want to have millions of resumes on his hard disk ( ie; OWN ), if he can ACCESS the same, at any time on Naukri ?
That would be true , if there was no subscription fee !
Like when I am listening to music ( Youtube ) on iPad , I am not paying anything ! So , why keep ( OWN ) cassettes / CDs ?
Sure , if Naukri were to become a FREE service, ( for Employers ) , no employer would feel interested in joining ResumeSync !
Turning this around , if ResumeSync were to make it possible to find all the resumes that you ever need on your hard disk , then why would you want Naukri ?
· “ Employment for greater number of people “ > Could that become an “ Unintended Consequence “ of ResumeSync ?
· If it becomes VERY EASY to “ find and hire “ , a person you want, from among those millions of resumes , would you be more tempted to go ahead and appoint him ?
· I suspect many MSME put off their hiring decisions , only because it is too much of a hassle
· This is where ResumeSync differs
· Since “ RESUME RATER “ will be an integral part of SYNC, each resume will have a SCORE and resumes ( in each FUNCTION category ) , will get arranged in descending order of this SCORE .
· Beyond that , we could incorporate a feature whereby , every time an Employer “ Shortlists “ any resume ( after searching his hard disk ) , the “ Number of Times shortlisted “ appears next to each resume . That number would indicate its popularity
See writing on our page “ Job Suggest “ on
· One day soon, will these toy-rental services become obsolete with arrival of Virtual Reality and Holograms and Hepatic devices , through which you can feel , manipulate toys , thousands of miles away ?
· Read my today’s [ 25 April 2016 ] blog : No Use Fighting
· It is all about turning 500,000 sq km of floating plastic called “ Great Pacific Garbage Patch “ , into a LAND MASS ( floating ) , to house 126 million migrants, through technological innovations ( 2 times the area of UK , which has a population of 63.6 million )
· How do we decide,who can become a MEMBER of ResumeSync, and who cannot ?
· To keep things simple , we can insist that the company ( not individual ) registering, must have been a Registered Corporate Subscriber of Naukri / MonsterIndia / TimesJobs etc., so that we know , he must have downloaded a number of resumes from these sites in the past.
· That number could be around 50,000 large / medium companies . These are also the parties who will be most interested to join , in order to save subscription fees
· Can www.GlobalRecruiter.net , ( properly revived by one of the Start Ups and vigorously promoted ) , spawn around itself, hundreds of “ Partner Web sites “ ?
· Could this , eventually rope in other types of members ( Government / ISP / TV Channels / MSP etc ) , to become W3F ? Jobs for All = Peace on Earth
· This is same as some large subscribers of Naukri, having a million resumes on his hard disk , but thoroughly UNSEARCHABLE , since these are plain TEXT !
· It is high subscription fees of Naukri ( Rs 4 lakh / year ) which deters 20 million MSME to use it
· Will USP of ResumeSync spread among Recruitment Agencies / Employers , by such word of mouth ?
· I have heard a lot of people talking about the great utility of UBER & OLA
· A member of ResumeSync, actually becomes “ Owner “ of millions of Resumes , without having to “ pay “ for them , by way of job portal subscription
· If , in the beginning , we focus on membership of Employers ( some 50,000 +) who are already “ Subscribers “ of some or other job portals ; and therefore – have, on their hard disks, few hundred to few thousand TEXT resumes , then they will not feel like “ FREE RIDERS “ and feel GUILTY , because they know that , they too are donating some resumes. They are also “ giving and sharing “
· All the resumes ( whether own or downloaded ) in ResumeSync, are always immediately “ accessible “
· Punch line > ResumeSYNC : All the resumes that you will ever need !
· Most certainly , ResumeSYNC , has the potential to disrupt traditional job portals , by making them , irrelevant ! – but partially only , since Employers will still need to post their JOB ADVERTISEMENTS and jobseekers will still need to go / search those jobs and “ Apply Online “
· But then it is also likely that jobseekers may get many interview calls directly – without applying – from members of ResumeSYNC !! . They will email their latest / revised resumes DIRECTLY
· DANGER of RESUMESYNC >
Very Senior Executives ( VP / GM level ) , generally do NOT submit their resumes on job portals but send as emails to Headhunters .
So , if a headhunter becomes a member of ResumeSYNC, even resumes of such VERY SENIOR executives will find their way onto the hard disks of thousands of members ! We need to address this problem
· Another punch line > Hire all you want : Without subscribing to Jon Portals !
· Recently , Anand Mahindra said the same thing !
· Of course , for altogether different reasons, in 1966 , IBM ( India ) would not “ SELL “ its model 1401 computers in India . At L&T , we had to “ lease “ it from IBM ( - and those were reconditioned / imported machines – not manufactured in India )
· Recruitment Process Outsourcing ( RPO ) , owes its existence to Employers not having HR RESOURCES of their own
· If ResumeSYNC , not only parses resumes to create a STRUCTURED / SEARCHABLE database , but also generates PROFILE GRAPHS for each resume , then it will provide a different kind of EXPERIENCE to recruiters
· SaaS instead of enterprise-based software & of course CLOUD services , instead of owning your own servers
· Same as saying : For every job , somewhere out there , is an IDEAL candidate and for every jobseeker , somewhere there, is a PERFECT job . Problem lies in each finding the other !
· All other things being equal, employers prefer LOCAL candidates, and vice versa . In crowded cities , jobseekers would be willing to sacrifice / compromise ( salary / title etc ) , for a nearby job
· RESUMESYNC IS ALL ABOUT THIS “ REDISTRIBUTION “
· An employer posts a job advt on a job portal and in next 3 days , receives 300 resumes .
· After screening / interviewing process of 4 weeks , ONE person gets appointed . Thereafter , rest 299 resumes are not “ needed “ or seldom “ re-looked “
· Over a period of few years , ResumeSYNC may have resumes of MOST of the jobseekers ( - and those who are not actively seeking a job ) .
· Every resume gets “ obsolete “ within a year . Can we think of some method , whereby any person can directly “ DEPOSIT “ his latest resume on ResumeSYNC , when it overwrites the old one ?
· After a few months , a member employer of ResumeSYNC , may not need to go to a job portal to download fresh resumes
· Another punch line > ResumeSYNC : the instantaneous mass synchronizer of resumes
· We must find a method to record / log, each & every resume-search that a member ( of ResumeSYNC ) conducts on his hard disk, using “ Guru Search “ search engine . That massive data can be analysed ( using BIG DATA software ) .
· That will tell us – and the World – “ a database of employers’ intentions “ , ie; what kind of candidates are employers searching for ? A Job Market Analysis , up to date !
· I have started this ( giving back ) early – at age 82 !
· I started to experience this !
· Concept of “ Partner Web site “ of www.GlobalRecruiter.net , is very similar
· In ResumeSYNC too, all that a member has to do , is to click on “ SEND / RECEIVE “ button ( like in Outlook ) and watch “ Synchronization Status “ panel . We are not in the picture !
· At the gate of Sikorsky Helicopter factory in USA , a plaque on gate reads :
“ By all known laws of aerodynamics , the ratio of weight to wing area of a Humming Bird is such that it cannot fly . But the Humming Bird is ignorant of this law , so it goes ahead and flies anyway ! “
· We launched www.3pJobs.com on 14 Nov 1997
· In ResumeSYNC, there is no question of any trust ( or trust gap ) between any two members , since there is no direct BI-LATERAL exchange of resumes between the two . It is an exchange between a member and the CENTRAL SERVER . No member knows which resume got donated by whom .
Questions of Quality , Style and Speed , do not arise
Value for W3F , will be : Jobs for All = Peace on Earth
· I hope to create such an Online Platform for W3F , where software developers will keep writing new software code or improving existing codes of www.GlobalRecruiter.net / www.IndiaRecruiter.net / www.RecruitGuru.com / RESUME RATER etc ( an OPEN SOURCE platform )
· Someday , can www.GlobalRecruiter.net , succeed in getting thousands of job portals in 100 countries , to become “ Partner web sites “ – and enable jobseekers ( in those 100 countries ) get “ Job Alert Broadcast “ of “ Matching Jobs “ getting posted on ANY of those PARTNER WEB SITES ?
· Design of W3F must “ facilitate “ several persons to participate in developing a network of :
# Job Portals / ISPs / MSPs
# Employment Exchanges / Media Companies
# Colleges / Associations / Advt Agencies
# Device Manufacturers etc
· In www.GlobalRecruiter.net , it was planned that anyone wanting to start a “ Partner Web site “ could do it within hours ( or minutes ) by simply copy / pasting , a small piece of code ,from GlobalRecruiter , onto his web site
· In www.B2BmessageBlaster.com , we enable our subscribers to blast their “ Marketing Messages “ > City wise > Industry wise > ( City + Industry ) wise
· Similarly in www.CustomizeResume.com , we enable jobseekers to search for jobs , > IT wise > NON-IT wise > Conventional > Archival
· A “ Resume “ has a long time – may be 20 / 30 years ; even as it undergoes many EDITS – at least once a year
· A good part of resume remains same , year after year . A few things do change
· Resumes are text documents which can be easily updated
· If www.B2BmessageBlaster.com , was making enough money ( revenue ) from subscribers blasting their Marketing Messages to Corporate and Chambers , then I would have made “ Influence Policy Makers “ totally free
· Tweeter has millions of users because it is FREE, even though :
# Messages can be only 140 characters
# Messages do not get “ delivered “ ( as email ) to anyone . Only those who visit that page get to see the message
· Another issue / reason , why “ Influence Policy Makers “ has not picked up , is because it is like a ONE WAY TRAFFIC ! Apply , Apply , no Reply !
People ( who take the trouble to compose and blast their suggestions ) , will feel “ engaged “ ONLY if , at least , a few of those recipients , take the trouble to respond – like Minister Prakash Javadekar’s one word reply to my email , ( GOOD ) !
· If Recruitment Agencies are our “ Targeted Early Adopters “ for ResumeSYNC, will they talk and persuade other agencies to join ? I have doubts
· Like Skype , ResumeSYNC too , will be FREE
· A possible promo message :
Recruitment Agent / Headhunter :
The more your coprofessionals you persuade to join , the more all of you benefit , through sharing with one another , resumes that lie unused on your individual servers . Just look up the list of OUR MEMBERS
· This morning , my visitor was Mr Amal Das , CEO of www.GoodPeopleConsulting.com . He volunteered to share my message ( ALLOW ME TO SHARE ) , with his contacts and NHRD Network members . I hope his help works ( 28 April 2016 )
· May be on W3F , we can request “ Members “ to welcome “ New Members “ – instead of same / one person greeting new joiners
· We had such feedback features in www.IndiaRecruiter.net , at
# Celebrity Opinions
· In 1989 , I had submitted to L&T Management , a report titled :
Where, I had pointed out this ( Networking ) scenario, in my cover letter
· In Mumbai , I had booked a landline phone in 1959 , which got connected after 7 YEARS ! – after an advance payment of Rs 3,000 !
· In this connection , today , I emailed my following blogs to Shri Prakash Javadekar – Minister for Environment :
· These blogs provide “ answers “ to this dilemma !
· Incentives : Exactly what I have suggested in my blogs . Remarkable coincidence !
· Read , “ Marketing Myopia “ by Ted Levitt , where he recommends that every company ask :
“ What business are we in ? If you don’t make yourself obsolete , someone else will “