Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do.

There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Friday, 8 April 2016

Water Wars ?


Long time back , someone had said :

The third World War will be fought over water

I don't know about World War 3 , but I have a dreadful feeling that , soon enough , a Civil War may get fought over water in our country !

For decades , our Southern States have been fighting over the waters of Krishna , Kaveri , Godavari etc

Recently , Punjab has stopped supplying water to Haryana thru SYL ( Sutlej - Yamuna Link canal )

In the meantime , 10 States are declared " Drought Affected "

Section 144 has been imposed in Latur and other cities

Armed police are deployed to protect water-stealing from dams in Bundelkhand

Thousands of farmers in Maharashtra / Rajasthan are committing suicide because of crop failures , leading to starvation

Lakhs of drought-affected villagers are migrating to city-slums / railway platforms / under the city-bridges

Villagers are refusing to marry their daughters to youth in drought affected villages

Lakhs of women are trudging 10 KM in 40* C temperature to fetch a bucketful of water

Even children ( under age of 10 ) are leaving studies and waiting with pots , for the arrival of water tanker

Maharashtra CM , Fadnavis says : You may shift the IPL outside Maharashtra , if you wish  ! We are not supplying POTABLE WATER to stadiums !

What is holding him back to say : Sorry , potable or not , I will not allow IPL
to WASTE , 60 Lakh liters of water , under any circumstance !
  
Several World Bodies have forecast that by 2050 , millions will die in India due to water shortage


WHAT  IS  THE  PERMANENT  SOLUTION  ?


At the level of Central Government

*   Make " Water Conservation / Usage " , a  CENTRAL SUBJECT  in our
     Constitution . Remove it from the list of STATE SUBJECTS

*   Declare all existing sources of water ( Rivers and Lakes ) , as National
    Resources belonging to entire Nation and not to the particular State
     where these are  located

*   Make it Center's responsibility to decide which State shall use how
     much of each of these resource ( allocation / rationing )

*   Center will also be responsible for developing of future resources by
     digging lakes & ponds / building dams / interlinking rivers & lakes etc
     Use MNREGA funds for creating such assets

*   Center will not need permission of any State to implement such projects

*   Center will implement " River Interlinking " Project by 2025 , and for this,
     it will not require permission of any State

     As repeatedly lobbied by me , please find a way to divert BLACK MONEY
     to this Infrastructure SPV ( Tax haven or local - which is 100 times ! )

*   Mercilessly , shut down all factories dumping polluting effluents in rivers


#   At the level of State Governments

*   Make following mandatory for ALL buildings ( existing or future )

    +  Rain water harvesting system ( this tank to supply toilets / sinks etc )

    +  Recycling of water from Kitchen / Shower / Wash Basins, for use in
        toilets , by installing a simple sand filtering tank in society compounds

    +  Installation of water flow restricting devices in all taps

    +  Mechanism which stops water flow when hands are removed under tap

    +  Water Supply Cut of 25 % , round the year

         Do not raise Water Charges . The higher the charges , more ways will
         be found to evade ( as in case of Personal Income Tax ! )

         Water meters will get tempered or bypassed !


Note the following :

   

*   Of all the water that rains bring , 99 % flows out to seas, leaving 1 %
     on land

*   Out of this 1% , 99 % percolates into the ground , leaving 1 % ( of that
     1 % ) , into lakes above the ground !

*   75 % of earth's surface is covered with seas / oceans . So , really , there
     is PLENTY of water

*   Nature ( Sun ) has gifted the Earth with evaporation / condensation cycle
    which converts the salty sea water into distilled potable water,
    automatically / continuously , and deliver onto the land masses

    Amount of water falling as rain on land each year is 2.4 trillion meter cube ,
    more than 10 times the annual requirement of 7 billion earthlings , at the
    rate of 100 litres per person per day !
     

    As far as India is concerned , all that is required , is to dig 700,000
    ponds / lakes ( one in each village ) , where we capture / store rain water

*   These 700,000 ponds must be lined with Geo-Synthetic Fabrics to ensure
    that the captured water does not seep underground - a simple technology

*   Capturing most of rain water in these ponds , will raise the water table in
    bore wells

*   None of the above suggestions require Rocket Science !  But , even if it
    does , our Scientists who have sent Mars Orbital Mission , are quite
    capable of finding appropriate solutions !


I hope the Center / the State Governments and all the political parties , rise
above their differences and join hands , to avoid a CIVIL WATER WAR !


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.hemenparekh.in / blogs

09  April  2016

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make    Yourself    Heard

Dear Visitor :

It is time for YOU to speak up - and demand that YOU are heard

By emailing this suggestion - incorporating your OWN improvements - to the following Policy Makers

(  Just multiple copy all the following Email IDs into the Recipient column of your Outlook and Copy / paste this suggestion in the Message Box ) :


    narendramodi1234@gmail.com; 38ashokroad@gmail.com;ajaitley@del5.vsnl.net.in; jayant.sinha19@sansad.nic.in;piyush.goyal@gov.in;nitin.gadkari@nic.in; spprabhu1@rediffmail.com;bandaru@sansad.nic.in;smritizirani@nic.in;nsitharaman@nic.in; ravis@sansad.nic.in;sureshprabhu@irctc.co.in;prakash.j@sansad.nic.in;secy-ipp@nic.in; amitabh.kant@nic.in; shaktikanta.das@nic.in; rsecy@nic.in; adhia1981@gmail.com; ceo-niti@nic.in; atul-chaturvedi@nic.in; uma.bharati@sansad.nic.in; d.pradhan@sansad.nic.in; rprudy.office@gmail.com; rudypr@rediffmail.com; eam@mea.gov.in; mosvks@mea.gov.in; mvnaidu@sansad.nic.in; mnaqvi@sansad.nic.in; rao.inderjit@sansad.nic.in; mljoffice@gov.in; sadananda.gowda@sansad.nic.in; ministerminority@gov.in; najmah@sansad.nic.in; minister-ca@nic.in; ramvilas.paswan@sansad.nic.in; gandhim@sansad.nic.in; akumar-alpha@sansad.nic.in; jpnadda@sansad.nic.in; hm.moca@nic.in; geete@sansad.nic.in; simratbadal@yahoo.com; ns.tomar@nic.in; rmsingh@sansad.nic.in; tc.gehlot@sansad.nic.in; dr.harshvardhan@sansad.nic.in   





      

No comments:

Post a Comment