Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Digital Deadlock: Your Unpaid Fines

Digital Deadlock: Your Unpaid Fines
Synopsis: The government is moving toward a stricter digital enforcement regime where unpaid traffic e-challans may soon lock you out of essential vehicle and driving licence services. This shift aims to boost compliance, but it underscores the urgent need for a transparent, glitch-free dispute resolution system. We must ensure that digitizing enforcement does not unfairly penalize citizens for systemic errors.

The Cost of Digital Inaction

I have often reflected on how technology is not just changing the world—it is governing it. Today, that governance is becoming increasingly granular. The latest draft amendments to the Central Motor Vehicles Rules propose a significant shift in how we handle traffic violations: if an e-challan attains finality and remains unpaid, your ability to access essential transport services—like renewing a licence or updating vehicle registration—could be frozen.

The Logic of Integration

The premise is simple, if harsh: integrate enforcement databases directly with the administrative platforms that manage our vehicles. By marking a vehicle as "Not to be Transacted" on the official portal, the state ensures that compliance is no longer optional. For a system struggling with a backlog of thousands of crores in unpaid fines, this is an attempt to force accountability through digital friction.

The Risk of the Machine

While I support the drive for safer roads and better compliance, I am deeply concerned about the human cost of automation. We have seen recent instances, such as the alarming case in Coimbatore where a non-functional bike was slapped with hundreds of wrongful fines, highlighting how human or technical errors can wreak havoc on an individual's digital record.

If we are going to build a system where the machine has the power to "freeze" our essential services, that machine must be infallible, or at the very least, have a robust, transparent, and swift dispute resolution mechanism. As officials like N. Kannan (City Police Commissioner) and S. Maheswaran (Deputy Commissioner of Police, Traffic) investigate such blunders, it serves as a stark reminder: technology without accountability is a dangerous tool.

Looking Ahead

Authorities across the country, from M. Ramesh of the Telangana Transport Department to D. Joel Davis of the Hyderabad Traffic Police, are moving toward these tighter enforcement frameworks. We are entering an era where our "digital footprint" determines our freedom of movement. It is no longer enough to just drive safely; one must also actively manage one's digital traffic record.

I believe in smart governance, but it must be fair. Before these rules are fully notified, I urge policymakers to ensure that the grievance systems are as automated, accessible, and efficient as the penalty systems themselves. If we are to be held accountable by algorithms, we deserve the right to contest them with equal speed and ease.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What is the status marker that authorities may apply to a vehicle's registration record if an e-challan remains unpaid under the new draft rules?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment