Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Medical Education: Profit vs Purpose

Medical Education: Profit vs Purpose
Synopsis: The National Medical Commission has recently moved to allow both for-profit and non-profit companies to establish medical colleges in India, aiming to expand medical education capacity through Public-Private Partnerships. While this shift seeks to unlock private investment, it sparks critical debate regarding the commercialization of medical training and the preservation of public interest.

As I reflect on the evolving landscape of Indian healthcare education, I am struck by the recent policy shift from the National Medical Commission (NMC). The decision to allow for-profit companies to establish medical colleges, alongside traditional non-profit entities, is a watershed moment in how we view the intersection of capital and clinical training.

The Shift in Regulatory Philosophy

For years, the discourse around medical education in India has been anchored in the idea that education must be a non-profit endeavor. The NMC's previous stance was staunchly protective, mandating that only Section 8 companies—which reinvest surpluses into charitable objectives—could enter the field. However, NMC Chairman Abhijat Chandrakant Sheth (Email: drabhijatsheth@gmail.com) has articulated a new vision, emphasizing that enabling for-profit entities to participate via Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) can accelerate the expansion of necessary infrastructure and seat capacity.

Balancing Accessibility and Commercialization

This policy change is not without its tensions. The judiciary has previously cautioned against the commercialization of medical education, fearing that profit-seeking motives might undermine the noble pursuit of clinical excellence. Yet, the argument for reform is equally compelling: our nation faces a critical need to increase the volume of trained medical professionals. The hope is that by inviting private sector efficiency into the fold, we can bridge the gap between our current capacity and our future needs, provided the state maintains strong oversight to ensure that quality is never sacrificed at the altar of margins.

Looking Ahead

I have always maintained that the vitality of our future depends on how we integrate innovative technologies and sustainable models into our foundational systems. As we observe how this plays out in the upcoming academic cycles, we must ask: Can a profit-driven model truly serve the public good? The success of this experiment will depend entirely on the rigor of our regulatory mechanisms.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What specific change did the National Medical Commission make regarding the types of companies permitted to set up medical colleges in India?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment