Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Friday, 28 August 2026

10 years on : My suggestion holds valid

 The recent developments regarding the Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) gas dispute at the Supreme Court are a reminder of how complex resource management becomes when legal proceedings and policy intersect for decades. As I have noted before, these situations often lead me to ask for "Simple Answers" because the technical and legal jargon frequently obscures the basic questions about public interest and commercial stability.

In my view, the Supreme Court's decision to allow the parties to seek a settlement is a pragmatic shift away from the "adversarial" trap. I have long argued that when industry resources and public attention are tied up in litigation for years, nobody wins.

What I believe the "Simple Answers" should address:

When I look at this dispute, I focus on a few fundamental points that often get lost in the legal filings:

  • Contractual Stability vs. Public Interest: I ask: Is the framework clear enough that investors know what returns to expect, while the government maintains its right to protect the public exchequer? We need simple, enforceable rules rather than multi-decade court battles.
  • The Cost of Uncertainty: For me, the most significant issue is that protracted uncertainty discourages the very investment needed to reduce our energy import dependence. A negotiated settlement, if transparent, is far better than years of ongoing litigation.
  • Transparency as the Guardrail: If a settlement is reached, I believe it must not be done behind closed doors. To avoid the perception of "cronyism" or unequal treatment, there must be enough public disclosure to understand why the settlement was reached and how the interests of both the public and the private sector were balanced Blog - "SC Lets RIL Seek Settlement" - 2026-05-01.

Ultimately, I see this as an opportunity for the government to move toward a more predictable energy policy. If we can resolve this through commercial mediation rather than litigation, we set a healthier precedent for future resource disputes. My hope is that the negotiators prioritize clarity over obfuscation—I want simple, actionable outcomes that keep the sector moving forward rather than stalled by legal "acts of omission" or indecision.


Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1SC Lets RIL Seek Settlement2026-05-01My thoughts on the Supreme Court's role in shifting the RIL gas dispute toward a negotiated settlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment