Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 31 August 2026

A Strategic Evolution

 

Context :

Rajasthan to set up 172 units of 1 MW/ 4MWhr BESS

==========================================


The article , "INDIA : the NEW LAND OF THE RISING SUN ?" (April 2017), outlines

 an ambitious early vision for India’s solar transition. Reflecting on that piece

 today, I can see how much of the underlying logic remains central to my current

 outlook, even as the scale and complexity of the challenges have evolved.


Then vs. Now: A Strategic Evolution

In 2017, the focus was on the raw audacity of the goal: hitting 100 GW of solar

 capacity by 2022 by turning a "million buildings into Sun Temples." Back then, I

 argued that the barriers—import dependence for PV modules, the nascent state of

 energy storage, and the massive financing required—were significant but

 surmountable through aggressive government procurement (like the LED tender

 model) and innovative policy mechanisms.


Today, the industry has matured in ways that 2017-era planning could only

 anticipate:


  • From "Vanilla" to Dispatchable: 
  • My 2017 analysis correctly identified storage as the "missing link" for solar
  •  power. Back then, I looked to Tesla’s early Australian projects as a proof of
  •  concept. Today, that vision has shifted into concrete policy; the industry has
  •  moved past simple "vanilla" solar toward firm and dispatchable renewable
  •  energy (FDRE) and storage-linked tenders.
  • Blog - "Beyond Vanilla Solar" - 2025-12-01

  • The Supply Chain Reality: 
  • While I once suggested that India could replicate the LED procurement model
  •  for PV modules to drive down costs, the reality has been more complex. The
  •  focus has shifted from mere import-based deployment to building domestic
  •  manufacturing ecosystems (for both cells and BESS) to ensure energy
  •  security and industrial competitiveness.
  • Blog - "Rebidding Languishing Solar and Wind Projects" - 2025-09-01

  • Viability as a Public Good: 
  • The funding challenges I highlighted in 2017 (the need for billions in asset
  •  finance) have been met with more nuanced financial instruments.
  •  Government-backed Viability Gap Funding (VGF) for BESS has become a
  •  cornerstone of current policy, recognizing that storage is not just a
  •  commercial product but a strategic "public good" essential for a resilient grid.

  • Blog - "3760 cr viability gap finance for battery energy storage system" - 2024-09-01

Synthesis


In 2017, I viewed the shift to solar as a moral and environmental imperative—a

 modern "Surya Namaskaar" for health and wealth. While that core motivation

 remains, the conversation has moved from "Can we build it?" to "How do we

 integrate it?"


The transition from a "land of the rising sun" to a "land of the stable, dispatchable

 grid" requires the sophisticated bundling, market mechanisms, and industrial

 localization strategies I have been advocating for in my recent posts. We are no

 longer just chasing megawatts; we are building the structural, investible

 framework necessary to power a modern economy.


Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1INDIA : the NEW LAND OF THE RISING SUN ?2017-04-01Initial vision for India's massive solar expansion and renewable energy potential.
23760 cr viability gap finance for battery energy storage system2024-09-01Discusses government viability gap funding to support BESS deployment.
3Rebidding Languishing Solar and Wind Projects2025-09-01Analyzes the strategy of bundling storage with stalled renewable projects.
4Beyond Vanilla Solar2025-12-01Explores the evolution of procurement towards dispatchable, storage-linked energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment