Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Friday, 28 August 2026

Safeguarding the Filipino Soul

Safeguarding the Filipino Soul
Synopsis: The National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) serves as the heart of the Philippines' cultural identity, acting as the primary policy-making and grant-giving agency. By safeguarding heritage and fostering artistic freedom, the NCCA ensures that the nation's diverse traditions remain a vibrant part of the modern world. This post explores how this institution bridges the gap between preserving the past and nurturing future creativity.

As I reflect on the structures that define a nation, I am always struck by the vital importance of institutions dedicated to culture. In the Philippines, the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) stands as a guardian of the collective Filipino identity. It is not merely a government body; it is an engine for national soul-searching and preservation.

The Mandate of Identity

Established through Republic Act No. 7356, the NCCA was created to be the official policy-making body for culture and the arts. Its mandate is vast, covering everything from the conservation of historical heritage to the promotion of artistic excellence. What I find most compelling about their mission is the explicit declaration that culture is a human right.

When we recognize culture as a right, we move beyond viewing it as a luxury. Instead, it becomes a necessary component of national development—a foundation for a resilient, self-aware society. By managing the National Endowment Fund for Culture and the Arts (NEFCA), the commission provides the oxygen—the grants and resources—that allows diverse artistic expressions to breathe, regardless of regional or ethno-linguistic background.

Cultivating Pluralism and Freedom

One of the most significant aspects of the NCCA’s philosophy is its commitment to being:

  • Pluralistic: Fostering respect for the specific cultural identity of every locality.
  • Democratic: Encouraging mass participation in cultural programs.
  • Liberative: Working toward the decolonization and emancipation of the Filipino psyche.

This approach mirrors ideas I have long championed: that true immortality lies in the preservation of our cultural legacy and the stories we leave behind. By supporting festivals like Dayaw, which brings Indigenous communities together, the NCCA ensures that traditional knowledge is not lost to the march of modernization but rather integrated into the national narrative.

Bridging the Past and Future

Through the Sentro Rizal program, the NCCA also extends its reach globally, promoting Philippine arts and language abroad. It is a powerful reminder that while culture is rooted in place, its impact can be universal.

I have often spoken about the responsibility we have to be the architects of our own future. Agencies like the NCCA provide the blueprint, ensuring that as a nation evolves technologically and economically, it does not leave its humanity behind. They remind us that to move forward, we must know exactly who we are.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What is the primary legislation that established the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) in the Philippines, and what is its core mandate regarding cultural development?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment