Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Friday, 28 August 2026

Skilling Failures: Beyond The Dole

Skilling Failures: Beyond The Dole
Synopsis: A staggering one-third of skilling scheme trainees remain unplaced, highlighting a systemic failure to bridge the gap between classroom training and industry needs. We must stop treating skilling as a mere government dole and instead transform it into a profitable, industry-led endeavor.

It is disheartening, though not surprising, to see that one-third of trainees from government skilling schemes remain unplaced. For years, I have warned that unless we shift our approach from dependency to industry-aligned productivity, these initiatives will remain, at best, mere 'tinkering'.

The Mismatch Crisis

I have long argued that we cannot force industry to hire people they do not need. As I noted in my earlier reflections, such as How To Motivate Industry To Hire More, threats to withhold funds from sector skill councils do not solve the fundamental issue: an acute mismatch between what is taught in classrooms and what is required on the shop floor.

My Proposal: The Path to Profitability

When Narendra Modi speaks of making India the 'Skill Capital of the World', it is a noble vision. However, government-led machinery alone cannot scale to train millions. My solution, which I have advocated for years, is simple: Turn skilling into a profitable business for the private sector.

  • Industry-Led SPVs: Establish [Nirmit Parekh](http://www.linkedin.com/in/3pconsultants, nirmit@3pconsultants.co.in)-style professional rigor by creating Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) for skilling.
  • Tax Holidays: Provide a 10-year tax holiday for the 'Manpower Skilling Industry' to attract serious private investment.
  • Demand-Driven Curriculum: Allow these institutions to set their own curriculum based on current industry demands, much like how top management colleges operate.

Learning Through Doing

As I have consistently emphasized, the focus must shift to on-the-job training. Whether it is through my earlier proposals on reforming apprenticeships or my more recent commentary on [MSME apprenticeship](https://www.linkedin.com/posts/hemen-parekh-41833313_my-teacher-activity-7229456775094104064-131V, hcp@recruitguru.com), the goal is to reduce the cost of training for the employer while ensuring the trainee gains real, employable experience.

When Nirmala Sitharaman talks about new-age courses, we must ensure these are not just certificates but doorways to actual employment. The government's role should be to facilitate, not to hold the hand of the trainee indefinitely, which only fosters a 'dependency culture'.

Reflections

Whether it is the 1990s, when Hemen Parekh (hcp@recruitguru.com) pioneered India's search industry, or today, the fundamental challenge remains: the pace of change. As highlighted in my journey documented by Dr. Nivash Jeevanandam, we must bridge legacy systems with future-ready skills.

We need to stop feeding fish to the hungry and start teaching them how to fish—and more importantly, ensure there is a market where those fish can be sold.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What is Hemen Parekh's primary suggestion for making India the 'Skill Capital of the World' while ensuring high placement rates for trainees?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment