Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Sunday, 20 September 2026

Curing the Healthcare Profit Paradox

Curing the Healthcare Profit Paradox
Synopsis: The commercialization of private hospitals is eroding the integrity of medicine, shifting focus from patient healing to revenue generation. To fix this, we must move beyond simple regulation and adopt a digital-first, transparent infrastructure that minimizes human discretion and aligns incentives with health outcomes.

The Lost Integrity of Healing

For decades, I have watched with growing concern as the fundamental ethos of healthcare has shifted. What was once a noble, service-oriented profession is rapidly morphing into a purely capitalistic enterprise. I have long argued that when public goods like health become a business, the resulting 'business-ification' creates a moral vacuum that impacts every patient entering the system.

The glitz of modern hospital lobbies—complete with 'customer experience executives'—is often just skin-deep. Behind the facade, the reality is that many large hospital chains, often backed by private equity, operate under immense pressure to show growth and profitability. Consequently, the patient is no longer just a person in need; they have become a unit of revenue. This systemic shift often forces doctors to treat patients as sources of diagnostic tests, scans, and elective procedures, leading to what I consider a dangerous 'medicalization' of care.

The Need for Digital Discipline

I have consistently proposed that the solution is not merely more regulation, but the creation of a Healthcare Infrastructure Platform (HIP), modeled after the successes of UPI and GSTN.

My vision relies on leveraging INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY to minimize human discretion in every interaction. Whether it is diagnostic tests, hospital admissions, or medicine distribution, pricing must be fixed, published, and transparent. We need a system built around:

  • Blockchain-secured lifelong health records to ensure data integrity and patient empowerment.
  • Diagnosis-Related Groups (DRGs) to standardize reimbursements based on clinical outcomes rather than volume-linked incentives.
  • Mandatory pre-treatment cost estimates to eliminate the financial shock that families face upon discharge.

A Balanced Path Forward

We cannot deny the need for private capital. As Pratap Reddy (pratap_reddy@apollohospitals.com) of Apollo Hospitals once noted, private sector involvement can be a game-changer for capacity building. However, this capacity must serve the public interest, not just the shareholder's interest.

We must critically analyze foreign direct investment (FDI) in existing hospitals—where investors acquire market dominance rather than creating new, necessary capacity. As I have highlighted previously, the goal is to shift from treating illness to creating wellness. We need policies that incentivize preventive health, cross-subsidize care for the underprivileged, and ensure that those who provide essential services operate with clear, evidence-based treatment protocols.

Ultimately, the 'cure' for private hospitals lies in making them part of a unified, digital, and transparent ecosystem. We must return to the roots of medicine, where clinical priority is dictated by need, not by the incentive to maximize revenue per bed.


Regards,
Hemen Parekh

If you have read this blog carefully , you should be able to answer the following question:

"What does Hemen Parekh suggest is the primary tool to minimize human discretion and ensure transparency in the healthcare transaction ecosystem?" You can find that answer by entering this question at ( 1 ) www.HemenParekh.ai ( 2 ) www.IndiaAGI.ai

No comments:

Post a Comment