Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 14 September 2026

Transforming India’s Water Future

 




Subject: 

 Transforming India’s Water Future – A Blueprint for River Interlinking



Dear Shri Amit Shah Ji,


I am writing to extend my heartfelt congratulations on the historic consensus you

 have brokered among six states for the Kishau Dam project. Securing an

 agreement where the Central government assumes 90% of the financial burden

 for the water component is a masterful display of statesmanship and a decisive

 step toward national water security.


This achievement proves that when the Centre provides strong leadership and

 financial framework, the paralysis of inter-state water disputes can be overcome.

 I urge you to now extend this very spirit of cooperation to India’s most critical,

 long-standing challenge: the national Inter-linking of Rivers project. For decades,

 this has remained in limbo; it is time to bring it to fruition to provide a permanent

 solution for flood control and irrigation across the nation.


Ten years ago, in my April 2016 blog, Water Wars?, I argued that the current

 fragmented management of our water resources is unsustainable and risks

 internal conflict. I respectfully reiterate the following imperatives that remain as

 urgent today as they were then:


  • Constitutional Reform: 
  • Water must be moved from the State List to the Central List. As long as water
  •  is a State Subject, narrow regional interests will continue to stifle national
  •  infrastructure projects.

  • National Resource Status: 
  • All major rivers and lakes must be declared National Resources. The Centre
  •  should hold the authority to allocate water and lead project execution, such as
  •  river interlinking, without requiring the veto-power of individual states.

  • Infrastructure Finance: 
  • We must leverage innovative financing, including utilizing funds from
  •  infrastructure SPVs, to ensure these massive capital projects are fully funded
  •  and executed on a mission mode.

  • Decentralized Conservation: At the local level, we must mandate rainwater
  •  harvesting and water-recycling systems in all buildings. The current reliance
  •  on inefficient water usage in urban centers while rural areas suffer is a
  •  national failure that can be corrected through simple, mandatory policy shifts.

The Kishau Dam consensus is a lighthouse project. By applying this same decisive

 model to the National River Interlinking mission, you have the opportunity to

 secure India’s water future for generations.


I remain a committed advocate for these reforms and am ready to support this

 national mission in any capacity possible.


With warm regards,


Hemen Parekh


Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1Water Wars?2016-04-09Advocates for centralizing water management to prevent national conflicts over water scarcity.
2Consensus among six states on Kishau dam project...2026-09-16Reports a six-state agreement for the Kishau Dam with 90% funding provided by the Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment