Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Monday, 14 September 2026

Drone Darogas ?

 


Drones for a Quiet Mumbai:  


A Tech-Forward Approach to Ganesh Chaturthi Noise


The current state of noise levels in Mumbai during the Ganesh festival is, frankly,

 unbearable. While the city celebrates with fervor, the cacophony from thousands

 of Ganesh Pandals creates an environment of immense acoustic stress for all

 citizens.

It is time to move beyond ineffective manual monitoring, persuasion, or local

 disputes. As I have argued before in my writings regarding

Loudspeaker Techniques and Noise Detecting Cameras, we need a technology-

based solution that is automated, scalable, and instant.


The Drone-Based Solution: Noise Detection & Cancellation


We have already established that drones can monitor traffic

on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway and even live-review construction sites. Why not

 use them to police the skies and the streets for noise pollution?


I propose a fleet of dedicated "Quiet-Sky" Drones deployed during the festival:

  1. Noise Detection: 
  2. Each drone would be equipped with advanced sensors capable of measuring
  3.  decibel (dB) levels in real-time. Much like the internet-connected sensors I
  4.  proposed for loudspeakers, these drones would relay data instantly to a
  5.  Central Noise Pollution Control Room.

  6. Automated Enforcement (The Mute Switch): 
  7. Just as I have suggested cutting off electricity to loudspeakers that exceed
  8.  prescribed limits (Green/Yellow/Red dot monitoring), drones could facilitate
  9.  the enforcement. If a Pandal’s noise consistently registers in the "Red" zone,
  10.  the system could trigger an automatic cut-off of the Pandal’s microphone or
  11.  loudspeaker power supply.

  1. Active Noise Cancellation (The "Bliss" Factor): 
  2. Leveraging the MIT technology I previously highlighted, these drones could
  3.  potentially be equipped with active noise-cancellation hardware. By
  4.  generating sound waves of opposite amplitude, they could neutralize blaring
  5.  noise in localized high-density areas, providing immediate relief to residential
  6.  pockets trapped near high-volume Pandals.

The Path Forward

Mumbai's festive spirit should not come at the cost of the health and sanity of its

 residents. We must:

  • Mandate Specifications: 
  • Require all microphones and loudspeakers to be fitted with internet-connected
  •  sensors that report to a central dashboard.

  • Deploy Drones: 
  • Use them for 24/7 autonomous monitoring of noise "hotspots."

  • Invest in Technology: 
  • As I wrote previously, State Governments should consider subsidizing the
  •  purchase of noise-canceling devices for citizens, and we should look to license
  •  advanced cancellation technology for local manufacturing.

We have the engineering capability. We have the need. Let’s stop talking about

 "loudspeaker politics" and start implementing "loudspeaker techniques."


With Regards,

Hemen Parekh


www.Iam-Immortal.ai 



Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1Drones Are Watching You!2016-09-02Explores using drones for traffic monitoring and municipal oversight.
2Unfair, Dear Narendrabhai2021-07-01Discusses using live drone feeds for real-time progress reviews.
3Loudspeaker Politics? How about Loudspeaker Techniques?2023-10-25Proposes automated sensors and MIT noise-cancellation tech for loudspeakers.
4Noise Detecting Cameras? How about a Cheaper Solution?2023-12-01Argues for tech-based monitoring of urban noise rather than just cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment