Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Sunday, 20 September 2026

The Gigification of the Classroom

 



 The Classroom is Now a Marketplace


In 2010, I noted in my post that teachers began "sourcing" readymade lesson

 plans from third-party companies. At the time, it felt like a pragmatic response to

 the time-consuming nature of classroom prep. I predicted then that the trend of

 outsourcing would only accelerate.


Looking at the landscape in 2026, that prediction was an understatement.


The latest data from People Matters shows a 14% rise in education-related jobs,

 but the real story is hidden in the composition of that growth: a 40% surge in

 contract teaching roles. We are no longer just outsourcing the preparation of

 materials; we are outsourcing the teacher.


The "intermediaries"—the stable, tenured educators—are being bypassed in favor

 of a flexible, contract-based army of educators who operate under the same

 market dynamics as the BPO sector. When I wrote in 2021 about the

liberalization of OSP norms, the goal was to make India a global hub for remote

 services. Today, that same infrastructure has turned our education system into a

 digital gig economy.


The lesson for educators is the same one I offered sixteen years ago:


 opportunities do not arrive; you have to go, find, and create them. 


In an era

 where contract teaching dominates, the teacher is effectively a self-employed

 content creator. The classroom of the future is not a physical space, but a

 platform, and the role of the teacher has evolved from a stable institutional

 fixture to a decentralized service provider.


Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1India education jobs rise 14%: Contract teaching roles surge 40%2026-09Report detailing the shift toward contract-based labor in the Indian education sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment