Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Translate

Saturday, 5 September 2026

Just Say > " My Caste ? I am an Indian "

 The challenge of recording caste in a national census is not just one of political will, but of fundamental administrative complexity. As the recent opinion piece in The Hindu Business Line Opinion - "Census and tricky issues in recording caste" - 2025 notes, the process is fraught with technical and sensitive issues.

My archives reflect a long-standing position on this: relying on paper forms and enumerators for over 1,700 castes is an exercise in "bankruptcy of imagination" Blog - "1700 Castes to be listed in Census Form ?" - 2024-10-01.

The Case for Digital Transformation

Trying to record caste using a physical form with a 10-foot scroll for reference is obsolete. My consistent recommendation has been to simplify and digitize:

Data Governance and Risk

My concern has always been that without independent oversight and robust data protection, caste surveys risk becoming political tools rather than instruments of social justice.

Strategic Way Forward

Rather than mechanical application of quotas that can be exploited by the privileged Blog - "Quota for Well‑Off Children?" - 2026-05-01, I advocate for a hybrid model. We need a digital infrastructure that allows for "granular assessment" and effectively enforces the creamy-layer principle, ensuring that benefits reach the truly disadvantaged while maintaining the integrity of the data collected.

Sources

#TitleDateAbout
1Pandora’s Box ?2021-09-02Argues that state-level surveys create a "Pandora's Box" and proposes standardized tabulation.
2HOW TO GET SOFTWARE TO DECIDE OBC QUOTA / AND DYNAMICALLY ?2023-11-23Proposes a state-wise digital registry and software-based quota management.
31700 Castes to be listed in Census Form ?2024-10-01Criticizes paper-based census forms for caste recording; advocates for a mobile app solution.
4Karnataka's caste survey...2025-09-27Warns against handing sensitive datasets to imperfect institutions without independent oversight.
5Quota for Well‑Off Children?2026-05-01Discusses the need for granular data to enforce "creamy layer" rules and target actual disadvantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment